• Smith exploded for 16 goals and 40 points in 64 games in 2013-14, his first full season in the Ontario Hockey League, after posting a goal and assist in his first 45 career OHL games with Oshawa and Windsor. Smith finished in third-place in the Most Improved Player category, as selected by coaches from the OHL’s Eastern Conference.
• In the 2014 postseason, Smith finished tied for third in team scoring with 11 points (3-8—11) in 12 games as Oshawa fell in the Eastern Conference Final. He recorded seven points (1-6—7) in the Generals’ first two playoff games, including five points (1-4—5) in Game 1 versus Mississauga.
• His uncle, Brad Smith, was selected 57th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in 1978 and totaled 62 points (28-34—62) in 222 games over nine NHL seasons with the Canucks, Calgary Flames, Detroit Red Wings, and Toronto Maple Leafs. He is currently the Director of Player Personnel for the Colorado Avalanche.
• Smith’s favorite piece of hockey memorabilia is an autographed stick from his childhood hockey idol Joe Sakic.
• Smith also played baseball in his youth and was a catcher with the Windsor South Canadians when the team won the 2009 Junior Little League Ontario Championship.
• In 2010-11, Smith shared the team scoring lead with 30 points (15-15—30) in 30 games for the Windsor Jr. Spitfires in the Alliance Hockey Minor Midget Pavilion League before being selected by Windsor in the second round (39th overall) of the 2011 OHL Priority Selection.
OSHAWA FORWARD SMITH A PROSPECT ON THE RISE IN 2014 (click here)
“Fake shot, fake backhand to forehand or low blocker”
Step Brothers / Shawshank Redemption
How I Met Your Mother
Will Ferrell, Tom Hardy
Sport (other than hockey):