The Rangers will complete a back-to-back set when they face-off against the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), in their 2013 regular season home opener. The Blueshirts enter tonight's contest having been defeated by the Bruins, 3-1, earlier tonight at Boston, and are now 25-28-9 in season-opening games away from MSG. The Rangers posted a 10-2-2 record in the second game of back-to-back sets last season. The Penguins enter the contest with a 1-0-0 (2 pts) record, following a 3-1 win in their season opener on Saturday afternoon at Philadelphia. Following tonight's contest, the Rangers will face-off against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday, Jan. 23, at Madison Square Garden (7:30 p.m.), in an Original Six matchup.
Tune in Tonight
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG with pregame coverage beginning at 6:30 p.m.You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN New York (FM 98.7)and on satellite radio at XM 212.
Rangers vs. Penguins Pregame Notes
* New York was 2-4-0 overall (1-2-0 mark at home; 1-2-0 mark on the road) vs. Pittsburgh last season. The Rangers penalty kill was 15-17 (88.2%) in the season series. Brad Richards led the team with four assists and six points, while Marian Gaborik (two goals, three assists) and Carl Hagelin (two goals, two assists) tied Richards with a team-high, two goals apiece. Henrik Lundqvist was 2-2-0 with a 2.28 GAA and .931 Sv%, while Martin Biron was 0-2-0 with a 4.54 GAA and .857 Sv%.
* The Rangers have registered at least one point in nine of their last 14 games against the Penguins (7-5-2 over the span).
* New York ranked seventh with a 27-12-2 (56 pts) record at home last season; Pittsburgh ranked sixth with a 22-15-4 (48 pts) mark on the road last season.
* The Rangers were 15-7-2 vs. the Atlantic Division last season; the Penguins were 13-10-1 vs. the Atlantic Division last season.
* Pittsburgh lists one former Ranger on its roster: Pascal Dupuis (2006-07)
All Time -- Rangers vs. Penguins
At MSG: 65-49-9-3
At Pittsburgh: 52-52-14-5
2011-12 Rangers vs. Pittsburgh
Nov. 29 Rangers 4, Penguins 3 at MSG
Jan. 6 Rangers 3, Penguins 1 at Pittsburgh
Jan. 19 Rangers 1, Penguins 4 at MSG
Feb. 21 Rangers 0, Penguins 2 at Pittsburgh
March 15 Rangers 2, Penguins 5 at MSG
April 5 Rangers 2, Penguins 5 at Pittsburgh
2013 Rangers vs. Pittsburgh
Jan. 20 Rangers vs. Penguins at MSG
Jan. 31 Rangers vs. Penguins at MSG
March 16 Rangers vs. Penguins at Pittsburgh
April 3 Rangers vs. Penguins at MSG
April 5 Rangers vs. Penguins at Pittsburgh
Upcoming Regular-Season Schedule
Jan. 20 Rangers vs. Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Jan. 23 Rangers vs. Boston, 7:30 p.m.
Jan. 24 Rangers at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Jan. 26 Rangers vs. Toronto, 7 p.m.
Jan. 29 Rangers vs. Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
* Michael Sauer has missed one game due to a concussion, suffered on Dec. 5, 2011.
|Back to top ↑|