The Rangers face-off against the Washington Capitals today at Madison Square Garden (4:30 p.m. — TV: MSG Network; Radio: ESPN 98.7), in Game 6 of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal matchup. The Blueshirts currently trail in the series 3-2, following a 2-1 overtime loss in Game 5 on Friday at Verizon Center. The Rangers enter the contest with a 210-229-8 record all-time in 447 playoff contests (118-88-2 at home; 92-141-6 on the road). New York has posted a 15-19 record all-time in Game 6 of playoff series.
Tune in Today
Today's game will be televised on MSG with pregame coverage beginning at 3:30 p.m. You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN New York (FM 98.7) and on satellite radio at XM 212.
Rangers vs. Capitals Pregame Notes
* The Rangers have come back from a 3-2 series deficit to advance in the playoffs twice before –- in the 2012 Conference Quarterfinals against Ottawa and the 1994 Conference Final against New Jersey.
* Derick Brassard registered his first career playoff points with a three-point effort, including a power play goal and two assists, in Game 3 at Madison Square Garden. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Brassard’s three points were the most by a Ranger in their home playoff debut since Sergei Zubov on Apr. 17, 1994 vs. the Islanders (one goal, two assists). Brassard followed up his three-point effort with two assists in Game 4, becoming the first Blueshirt to record five points in consecutive playoff games since Jaromir Jagr in 2008 (Apr. 29 vs. PIT: one goal, one assist; May 1 vs. PIT: two goals, one assist).
* The Blueshirts are 2-0 in games when tallying a power-play goal during the playoffs, and are 2-0 when holding the Capitals scoreless with the man advantage.
Rangers vs. Capitals Playoff History
The Rangers and Capitals are meeting in the playoffs for the eighth time overall and fourth time in five years, including a third consecutive season. Their last postseason encounter was in last year's Eastern Conference Semifinals, a series won by New York 4-3. Overall, the Blueshirts have a 3-4 playoff series record vs. the Capitals, posting a 21-25 mark in 46 postseason contests.
All Time Rangers Playoff Records
Goals for: 1,228
Goals against: 1,224
All Time Regular season -- Rangers vs. Capitals
At MSG: 48-38-9-3
At Washington: 39-48-9-3
2013 Rangers vs. Washington
Feb. 17 Rangers 2, Capitals 1 at MSG
March 10 Rangers 4, Capitals 1 at Washington
March 24 Rangers 2, Capitals 3 (SO) at MSG
Rangers-Capitals Series Results and Schedule
May 2 Rangers 1, Capitals 3 at Washington
May 4 Rangers 0, Capitals 1 (OT) at Washington
May 6 Rangers 4, Capitals 3 at MSG
May 8 Rangers 4, Capitals 3 at MSG
May 10 Rangers 1, Capitals 2 (OT) at Washington
May 12 Rangers vs. Washington, 4:30 p.m.
May 13 Rangers at Washington, TBD*
* -- if necessary
* Darroll Powe has missed two playoff games with an injury, suffered on May 6.
* Michael Sauer has missed four playoff games (and the entire 48-game regular season) due to a concussion, suffered on Dec. 5, 2011.
* The Rangers have lost 14 total man-games to injuries or illness during the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.
|Back to top ↑|