GAME NOTES: Rangers vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
The Rangers face off against the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in the second game of a six-game homestand. The Blueshirts are currently in fourth place in the Atlantic Division and rank 12th in the Eastern Conference with a record of 3-5-1. The Rangers enter tonight's contest having defeated the New Jersey Devils, 2-0, Thursday night at Madison Square Garden and have now posted an 3-1-0 record at home this season. The Maple Leafs, 4-4-3, currently rank fifth in the Eastern Conference with 11 points and have posted a 1-1-1 record in three road games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised by MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on WABC (770 AM).
Rangers vs. Maple Leafs Pre-Game Notes:
* The last time the Rangers allowed fewer than 17 goals through their first nine games was 1939-40, when they allowed 13 goals; New York's current run of 16 regulation/overtime goals against in the opening nine games of the season ranks second in franchise history.
* New York has surrendered just one regulation/overtime goal over the last three games, marking the first such streak since the 2002-03 season (March 17, 2003 to March 22, 2003).
* The Rangers rank first in the NHL with a 1.76 goals against average this season.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 3-1-0 record, along with a 1.51 goals against average and a .945 save percentage in four games at MSG this season.
* Jaromir Jagr has collected 61 points (27 goals and 34 assists) in 40 career games vs. Toronto; Brendan Shanahan has registered 65 points (36 goals and 29 assists) in 66 career contests vs. the Leafs; Scott Gomez has tallied 22 points (seven goals and 15 assists) in 25 career matches against Toronto; Chris Drury has notched 24 points (14 goals and 10 assists) in 27 career meetings with the Maple Leafs.
* In last season's series, Jaromir Jagr led the Rangers with eight points (one goal and seven assists) in four games against Toronto; The Leafs' Alexei Ponikarovsky collected eight points (five goals and three assists) in four games vs. New York.
* The Rangers power play clicked at 26.7% (4-15) in four games vs. Toronto last season, including two goals by Shanahan on the man advantage.
* Lundqvist enters the game riding a season-high, shutout streak (98:58) dating back to the second period of Tuesday's game at Pittsburgh.
* The Rangers have posted a 2-1-0 record when Brendan Shanahan registers a point; When Chris Drury registers a point, the Blueshirts are 2-1-0.
* The Blueshirts have won five of the last seven games against the Leafs.
* The Rangers are 3-1-0 at MSG this season; Toronto has posted a 1-1-1 record in three road contests.
* The Rangers are 0-2-1 against the Northeast Division this season; Toronto is 2-1-0 vs. Atlantic Division opponents.
* Greg Moore, acquired from Calgary on Mar. 6, 2004, has registered three goals and four assists for seven points, along with a plus-six rating and nine penalty minutes in seven AHL games with Hartford this season; In his second full professional season, the 23-year old forward currently ranks first on the Wolf Pack in goals (three), points (seven), and plus/minus (plus-six) and is tied for first with four assists.
* The Rangers have no former Maple Leafs on their roster.
* The Maple Leafs roster lists no former Rangers.
All-Time - Rangers vs. Maple Leafs
At MSG: 123-107-56-1
At Toronto: 86-160-39-1
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Maple Leafs
Oct. 27 Rangers vs. Maple Leafs at MSG
Nov. 10 Rangers vs. Maple Leafs at The Air Canada Centre
Dec. 6 Rangers vs. Maple Leafs at MSG
Dec. 29 Rangers vs. Maple Leafs at The Air Canada Centre
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
Oct. 27 Rangers vs. Toronto, 7 p.m.
Oct. 29 Rangers vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Nov. 1 Rangers vs. Washington, 7 p.m.
Nov. 3 Rangers vs. New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Nov. 5 Rangers vs. Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 1-3-1
Last 10 NYR games: 3-5-1
* Sean Avery suffered a grade-two shoulder separation of his left shoulder on Oct. 6.
* Martin Straka suffered a broken finger on Oct. 20.
* Ryan Callahan suffered a grade-two knee sprain on Oct. 23.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack posted their first home victory of the season, and upped their record back to the .500 mark, on Friday night, with a 2-1 shootout triumph over the Springfield Falcons (Edmonton affiliate). That marked the Wolf Pack's third trip to the shootout in seven games and their second shootout win. Wednesday night saw the Pack drop a 4-3 home decision to Providence (Boston affiliate), after they had finished off a season-high stretch of four straight road games with a 4-3 shootout victory at Toronto (Maple Leafs) on Sunday. The Wolf Pack visit Worcester (San Jose affiliate) tonight (7:05), then have their first three-game weekend next weekend, Friday at home against Worcester (7:05), Saturday hosting Toronto and Sunday at Manchester (4:05). Individual highlights of the Pack's recent games included:
Ivan Baranka netted a SHG, for the Pack's only goal in regulation or overtime, in Friday night's shootout victory over Springfield, after notching his first goal of the season (PPG) Sunday in Toronto, in the Wolf Pack's 4-3 shootout win over the Marlies.
Brodie Dupont registered the first assist of his pro career on Friday night vs. Springfield. His first pro goal was the Wolf Pack'[s first shorthanded goal of the season, and the first goal of the game, in Wednesday evening'[s home loss to Providence.
Chris Holt posted his first AHL win of the season on Friday night, after entering the game at the start of the third period in relief of Al Montoya. He stopped six out of seven shots in the third, and all three shootout attempts he faced.
Greg Moore was named game's First Star on Friday night, with shootout-ending goal, in the Pack's 2-1 shootout triumph at home over Springfield. He earned Second-Star honors in Wednesday night's home loss to Providence, with two assists.
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.