GAME NOTES: Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes
Wednesday, 12.26.2007 / 10:50 AM / News
New York Rangers
The Rangers face off against the Carolina Hurricanes tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.). The Blueshirts are currently tied for second place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 17-15-4, and rank eighth in the Eastern Conference with 38 points. New York enters the contest having lost to the Senators, 3-1, on Sunday at Madison Square Garden and have now dropped their last three contests. Following tonight's contest, the Rangers will begin a five-game stretch vs. Canadian opponents when they take on the Maple Leafs on Saturday, Dec. 29 at the Air Canada Centre (7:00 p.m.). The Hurricanes, 19-15-3, are currently in first place in the Southeast Division with 41 points and have won three of their last four games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG2. For complete MSG2 channel listings, click here. You can also catch the radio broadcast on WABC (770 AM).
Rangers vs. Hurricanes Pre-Game Notes:
* The Rangers are 11-8-0 at MSG this season; The Hurricanes have posted a 10-8-2 record in 20 road contests.
* The Rangers are 5-3-2 against the Southeast Division this season; The Hurricanes are 4-2-2 vs. Atlantic Division opponents.
* New York has tallied 11 goals in their last 51 power play opportunities (21.6%), including four multi-goal efforts, in the last 12 games.
* The Blueshirts have posted an 7-2-1-1 record vs. the Hurricanes in their last 11 games at MSG, outscoring Carolina 33-19 over the span.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a record of 3-3-0 vs. Carolina, registering a 2.14 goals against average and one shutout in six career appearances.
* Jaromir Jagr has registered 30 goals and 65 assists for 95 points in 66 career games vs. the Hurricanes franchise; Brendan Shanahan has collected 32 points (16 goals and 16 assists) in 37 career matches vs. Carolina; Martin Straka has tallied 37 points (12 goals and 25 assists) in 48 career contests vs. the Hurricanes.
* Scott Gomez enters the game riding a nine-game point streak, registering four goals and eight assists for 12 points over the span; Jagr (five assists) and Straka (two goals and four assists) both enter the contest with a four-game point streak.
* The Rangers are 12-4-3 when Shanahan registers a point this season; When Marc Staal tallies a point, the Blueshirts have posted a record of 4-1-1.
* When leading after the first period, the Rangers have posted a record of 10-1-3 and are 11-2-2 this season when scoring three or more goals.
* Jagr needs two assists to reach Larry Murphy for 14th on the NHL's all-time goals list.
* Shanahan is one goal shy of Dave Andreychuk for 11th on the NHL's all-time goals list.
* Straka needs one goal to reach 250 career goals.
* Paul Mara is one assist shy of 150 career assists.
* The 2008 IIHF World Under-20 Championship began earlier today, December 26, in the Czech Republic; Six members of the Rangers' organization are representing their respective countries in the tournament, including Bobby Sanguinetti (USA), Alexei Cherepanov (Russia), Artem Anisimov (Russia), David Kveton (Czech Republic), David Skokan (Slovakia), and Carl Hagelin (Sweden).
* The Rangers have two former Hurricanes on their roster; Marek Malik (1994-95 to 1996-97, 1998-99 to 2002-03) and Shanahan (1995-96 to 1996-97).
* The Hurricanes' roster lists one former Ranger; Matt Cullen (2006-07).
All-Time - Rangers vs. Hurricanes
At MSG: 30-15-4-1
At Hartford/Carolina: 17-27-3-0
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Hurricanes
Dec. 3 Rangers 0, Hurricanes 4 at MSG
Dec. 26 Rangers vs. Hurricanes at MSG
Jan. 29 Rangers vs. Hurricanes at RBC Center
Feb. 28 Rangers vs. Hurricanes at RBC Center
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
Dec. 26 Rangers vs. Carolina, 7 p.m.
Dec. 29 Rangers at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Dec. 30 Rangers vs. Montreal, 7 p.m.
Jan. 2 Rangers at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Jan. 3 Rangers at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 1-3-1
Last 10 NYR games: 2-6-2
* Marcel Hossa has missed five games with the flu.
* The Rangers have lost 76 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack have lost three of their last four games (1-2-0-1), after suffering only their second regulation loss in their last 12 games (8-2-0-2) on Saturday night, a 4-3 home defeat at the hands of the Syracuse Crunch (Columbus affiiliate). That was after the Pack saw took a 1-0 lead into the final two minutes of regulation Friday at home vs. Bridgeport (Islanders affiliate), only to see the Sound Tigers tie the score at 18:05 of the third frame and win in a shootout, 2-1. The Wolf Pack have at least a standings point in 14 of their last 17 games (12-3-0-2), and are off until Friday night (7:30), when they start a string of three road games in three days with a visit to Springfield (Edmonton affiliate). The Pack will be in Bridgeport Saturday night (7:00) and travel to Manchester (Los Angeles affiilate) next Sunday (4:05).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.