GAME NOTES: Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers
Thursday, 01.10.2008 / 10:55 AM / News
New York Rangers
The Rangers face-off against their division rivals, the Philadelphia Flyers, tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.).The Blueshirts are currently tied for fourth place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 20-18-5, and rank ninth in the Eastern Conference with 45 points. New York enters the contest having been defeated by the Lightning, 5-3, on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden and have now lost their last four contests. Following tonight's contest, the Rangers will take on the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday, January 12 (7:00 p.m.) to close out their three-game homestand. The Flyers, 21-15-4, are currently in third place in the Atlantic Division with 46 points and have won five of their last six games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN 1050 New York.
Rangers vs. Flyers Pre-Game Notes:
* The Rangers are 13-9-0 at MSG this season; The Flyers have posted a 13-10-0 record in 23 road contests.
* The Rangers are 10-4-0 against the Atlantic Division this season; The Flyers are 6-5-1 vs. Atlantic Division opponents.
* New York has tallied 21 goals in their last 89 power play opportunities (23.6%), including seven multi-goal efforts, in the last 19 games.
* The Blueshirts have won 11 of their last 15 games vs. the Flyers, posting an 11-3-0-1 record over the span.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 2-0-0 record, along with a 1.44 goals against average and one shutout in two games vs. the Flyers this season.
* In the season series, Scott Gomez leads the Rangers with three points (three assists) and Brendan Shanahan has notched two goals in two games against Philadelphia this season.
* Jaromir Jagr has registered 102 points (38 goals and 64 assists) in 79 career games vs. the Flyers; Brendan Shanahan has notched 50 points (14 goals and 36 assists) and 78 penalty minutes in 58 career games vs. Philadelphia; Martin Straka has collected 48 points (21 goals and 27 assists) in 56 career contests vs. the Flyers.
* Jagr has recorded at least one point in 16 of his last 19 games vs. the Flyers, registering 15 goals and 14 assists for 29 points over the span.
* Michal Rozsival set his new career-high for most goals in a season, tallying his 11th goal of the 2007-08 campaign on Tuesday vs. the Lightning.
* With his goal on Tuesday vs. Tampa Bay, Jagr tied Mike Gartner for 41st on the Rangers' all-time scoring list with 286 points.
* Shanahan is one assist shy of Brad Park and Jeremy Roenick for 50th on the all-time assists list; Jagr is one assist shy of tying Al MacInnis for 13th all-time in assists.
* Lauri Korpikoski, the Rangers' first round pick (19th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has registered seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points, along with 34 penalty minutes and a plus-10 rating in 36 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season; Last season, his first full-season in North America, the 21-year old forward ranked fourth on the team in assists (27) and finished eighth on the team in scoring with 38 points (11 goals and 27 assists).
* The Rangers have no former Flyers on their roster.
* The Flyers roster lists one former Ranger; Mike Knuble (1998-99 to 1999-00).
All-Time -- Rangers vs. Flyers
At MSG: 51-42-23-3
At Philadelphia: 47-56-14-1
2007-08 -- Rangers vs. Flyers
Nov. 5 Rangers 2 vs. Flyers 0 at MSG
Nov. 15 Rangers 4 vs. Flyers 3 at Philadelphia
Jan. 10 Rangers vs. Flyers at MSG
Jan. 31 Rangers vs. Flyers at Philadelphia
Feb. 9 Rangers vs. Flyers at Philadelphia
March 2 Rangers vs. Flyers at MSG
March 21 Rangers vs. Flyers at Philadelphia
March 25 Rangers vs. Flyers at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
Jan. 10 Rangers vs. Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Jan. 12 Rangers vs. Montreal, 7 p.m.
Jan. 14 Rangers at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Jan. 16 Rangers vs. Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Jan. 19 Rangers at Boston, 1 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 1-3-1
Last 10 NYR games: 3-5-2
* Sean Avery suffered a hand contusion on Saturday at Edmonton, and has missed one game
* Martin Straka suffered a concussion on Saturday at Edmonton, and has missed one game
* The Rangers have lost 83 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack are 0-2-0-1 in their last three games, their longest winless streak of the season, after a 3-2 home loss to Lowell (New Jersey affiliate) on Saturday. That followed a 5-4 defeat to Hershey (Washington affiliate) at the XL Center on Friday and a 3-2 shootout loss on home ice to Portland (Anaheim affiliate) Wednesday. The Pack are still 10-5-0-3 in their last 18 games, but have gone 0-3-0-2 in their last five home contests and 1-4-0-2 in their last seven at home. The Wolf Pack hit the road this week, playing back-to-back games in Norfolk (Tampa Bay affiliate) Friday and Saturday (both 7:15) and visiting Hershey on Sunday (5:00).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.