Game Notes: Rangers vs. Boston Bruins
The Rangers face-off against the Boston Bruins in a matinee matchup at Madison Square Garden (12:30 p.m.) in the second game of a home-and-home set. The Blueshirts are currently in fifth place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 22-20-6, and rank ninth in the Eastern Conference with 50 points. New York enters the contest having lost to the Bruins, 4-3, in a shootout yesterday at the TD Banknorth Garden and have now earned at least one point in three of their last four contests. The Rangers are 2-4-1 in the second game of back-to-back sets this season. Following today's contest, the Rangers will take on the Atlanta Thrashers on Tuesday, January 22 at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.). The Bruins, 23-18-5, are currently in third place in the Northeast Division with 51 points and have lost three of their last five games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Today!
Today's game will be televised on NBC. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN New York.
Rangers vs. Bruins Pre-Game Notes:
* he Rangers are 15-10-0 at MSG this season; The Bruins have posted an 11-10-2 record in 23 road contests.
* The Rangers are 6-5-1 against the Northeast Division this season; The Bruins are 6-4-2 vs. Atlantic Division opponents.
* New York has tallied 23 power play goals in their last 114 power play opportunities (20.2%), including seven multi-goal efforts, in the last 24 games.
* In two games vs. Boston this season, the Rangers have tallied one goal in 10 power play opportunities (10.0%) and have surrendered two goals in 16 times shorthanded (87.5%).
* The Blueshirts have recorded a point in each of their last 10 meetings with Boston (8-0-2), dating back to a 3-2 win on November 20, 2005 at MSG.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a record of 7-0-2, along with a 1.28 goals against average and two shutouts in nine career regular season games vs. Boston.
* In two games vs. the Bruins this season, Jaromir Jagr and Scott Gomez have
both registered one goal and two assists apiece.
* Jagr has collected 89 points (32 goals and 57 assists) in 65 career games vs. Boston; Chris Drury has registered 31 points (11 goals and 20 assists) in 33 career games vs. the Bruins; Martin Straka has registered 36 points (14 goals and 22 assists) in 44 career games vs. Boston.
* The Rangers are 2-4-1 in the second of back-to-back games this season.
* The Blueshirts sold out their 100th consecutive regular season contest on Wednesday vs. the Buffalo Sabres (W, 2-1). The streak began on Nov. 5, 2005 vs. the New Jersey Devils. The last regular season non-sellout was Oct. 31, 2005 vs. Montreal, which drew an attendance of 17,697. Including seven games from the 2006 and 2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Rangers have sold out 107 consecutive games.
* Brendan Shanahan is one assist shy of Brad Park and Jeremy Roenick for 50th on the all-time assists list.
* Dane Byers, the Rangers' second round pick (48th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has registered 10 goals and seven assists for 17 points, along with 107 penalty minutes and a plus-14 rating in 40 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season; The 21-year old forward leads the team in penalty minutes (107) and ranks third on the team in plus/minus rating (plus-14).
* The Rangers have two former Bruins on their roster; Paul Mara (2006-07) and Colton Orr (2003-04 to 2005-06).
* Boston's roster lists two former Rangers; Marc Savard (1997-98 to 1998-99) and Aaron Ward (2006-07).
All-Time - Rangers vs. Bruins
At MSG: 135-116-55-0
At Boston: 100-160-42-2
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Bruins
Oct. 20 Rangers 0 vs. Bruins 1 (SO) at Boston
Jan. 19 Rangers 3, Bruins 4 (SO) at Boston
Jan. 20 Rangers vs. Bruins at MSG
March 9 Rangers vs. Bruins at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
Jan. 20 Rangers vs. Boston, 12:30 p.m.
Jan. 22 Rangers vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m.
Jan. 24 Rangers vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m. (Leetch ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m.)
Jan. 29 Rangers at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Jan. 31 Rangers at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 2-2-1
Last 10 NYR games: 3-5-2
* The Rangers have lost 89 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack registered a standings point for the fifth time in their last six games (4-1-1-0) on Saturday night, and for the 18th time in their last 24 (14-6-1-3), but fell four points behind the second-place Portland Pirates (Anaheim affiliate) in the Atlantic Division, as they fell in overtime to the Pirates in Hartford by a score of 5-4. That followed a 3-1 loss at Springfield (Edmonton affiliate) Friday night and a 5-2 home win over Worcester (San Jose affiliate) on Wednesday. The Pack finish off a stretch of four divisional games in five days today (4:05), traveling to Providence to meet the Bruins (Boston affiliate).
Individual highlights of the Pack's recent games included:
Alex Bourret turned in First-Star performance in Wednesday’s 5-2 win over Worcester, with 1-2-3 and a plus-3, after being held to one goal in his previous 13 games.
Dane Byers has goals in three of his last four games (3-0-3), and four of his last six (4-2-6), after scoring PPG on Saturday night vs. Portland.
Ryan Callahan posted 1-1-2 in Saturday night’s 5-4 overtime loss vs. Portland, good for Third-Star honors. He has at least a point in all six games he has played with the Wolf Pack (4-5-9).
Andrew Hutchinson was named game’s Second Star on Saturday night against Portland, after striking for 1-2-3 in Wolf Pack’s 5-4 overtime loss. He has points in six of his last seven games (2-6-8) and ranks third among AHL defensemen in assists (25) and tied for fourth in points (32).
David Liffiton returned to action on Saturday night vs. Portland, after missing 34 games due to a concussion sustained on Oct. 30 at Worcester.
Michael Sauer registered his first multiple-point game as a pro Wednesday vs. Worcester, with 1-1-2 in the Wolf Pack’s 5-2 win.
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.