Game Notes: Rangers vs. Atlanta Thrashers
Tuesday, 01.22.2008 / 11:08 AM / News
New York Rangers
The Rangers face-off against the Atlanta Thrashers tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.). The Blueshirts are currently in fifth place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 22-21-6, and rank ninth in the Eastern Conference with 50 points. New York enters the contest having been defeated by the Bruins, 3-1, on Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden and have now earned at least one point in three of their last five contests. The Rangers are 15-11-0 in 26 games at MSG this season. Following today's contest, the Rangers will take on the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday, Jan. 24 at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in what will be a special evening as former Rangers defenseman, Brian Leetch, will have his No. 2 retired to The Garden rafters in a pre-game ceremony (6:30 p.m.). The Thrashers, 23-24-3, are currently tied for second place in the Southeast Division with 49 points and have lost their last three games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Today's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN New York.
Rangers vs. Thrashers Pre-Game Notes:
* The Rangers are 15-11-0 at MSG this season; The Thrashers have posted an 11-12-1 record in 24 road contests.
* The Rangers are 6-4-2 against the Southeast Division this season; The Thrashers are 5-5-1 vs. Atlantic Division opponents.
* New York has tallied 23 power play goals in their last 118 power play opportunities (19.5%), including seven multi-goal efforts, in the last 25 games.
* After 49 games this season, the Rangers have surrendered 37 goals in 221 power play opportunities (83.3%); Through 49 games last season, the Rangers' penalty kill had a success rate of 82.5% (44 goals against in 251 times shorthanded).
* The Blueshirts have notched three goals in 11 power play opportunities (27.3%) in two games vs. Atlanta this season.
* Chris Drury leads the Rangers with three points (one goal and two assists) in two games vs. the Thrashers this season.
* Jaromir Jagr has collected 45 points (20 goals and 25 assists) in 33 career games vs. Atlanta; Scott Gomez has registered 28 points (10 goals and 18 assists) in 28 career games vs. the Thrashers; Brendan Shanahan has registered 16 points (five goals and 11 assists) in 11 career games vs. Atlanta.
* The last time the Rangers defeated the Thrashers in a regular season game at MSG was on October 15, 2005 (5-1).
* The Rangers have outshot their opponents in 35 of 49 games this season (1,502 to 1,208), including 12 of the last 16 periods (five games).
* In the last five games, the line of Brandon Dubinsky (two goals and two assists, plus-five), Petr Prucha (two goals and three assists, plus-five) and Nigel Dawes (one goal and three assists, plus-five) have combined for 13 points (five goals and eight assists) and a plus-15 rating.
* Shanahan is one assist shy of Brad Park for 50th on the all-time assists list.
* Rangers prospect Bobby Sanguinetti has been selected to participate in the 2008 Ontario Hockey League (OHL) All-Star Classic on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2008 at the Steelback Centre at Sault Ste. Marie.
* The Rangers' roster lists no former Thrashers.
* The Thrashers' roster lists three former Rangers; Pascal Dupuis (2006-07), Bobby Holik (2002-03 to 2003-04) and Steve Rucchin (2005-06).
All-Time - Rangers vs. Thrashers
At MSG: 4-6-1-3
At Atlanta: 9-5-0-2
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Thrashers
Oct. 18 Rangers 3 vs. Thrashers 5 at Atlanta
Dec. 7 Rangers 2 vs. Thrashers 4 at Atlanta
Jan. 22 Rangers vs. Thrashers at MSG
Jan. 24 Rangers vs. Thrashers at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
Jan. 22 Rangers vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m.
Jan. 24 Rangers vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m. (Leetch ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m.)
Jan. 29 Rangers at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Jan. 31 Rangers at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Feb. 1 Rangers at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 2-2-1
Last 10 NYR games: 2-6-2
* The Rangers have lost 89 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack suffered their second consecutive overtime loss Sunday, as they fell by a 4-3 score at Providence (Boston affiliate). That followed a 5-4 overtime defeat to Portland (Anaheim affiliate) Saturday in Hartford. The Pack have won only four of their last 10 games (4-3-2-1), but have at least a standings point in six of their last seven games (4-1-2-0) and 19 of their last 25 (14-6-2-3). The Wolf Pack head into the AHL All-Star break with three games this week, tomorrow (7:00) at Albany (Carolina affiliate), Friday at home vs. Worcester (San Jose affiliate) and Saturday (7:00) at home against Providence.
Individual highlights of the Pack's recent games included:
Dane Byers had a Wolf Pack season-high four-game goal-scoring streak (4-0-4) snapped in Sunday’s 4-3 overtime loss in Providence.
Ryan Callahan as held off the scoresheet for the first time in seven AHL games (3-6-9) on Sunday at Providence, despite putting seven shots on net. He tallied 1-1-2 in Saturday’s 5-4 overtime loss to Portland, good for Third-Star honors.
Andrew Hutchinson scored for the second straight game Sunday in Providence. He has 2-3-5 in the last three games and at least a point in seven of the last eight (3-6-9). Hutchinson was named game's Second Star Saturday night against Portland, after striking for 1-2-3 in Wolf Pack’s 5-4 overtime loss. He ranks third among AHL defensemen in assists (25) and tied for third in points (33).
David Liffiton returned to action Saturday night vs. Portland, after missing 34 games due to a concussion sustained October 30th at Worcester.
Greg Moore tallied his fourth SHG of the season, and added an assist, in Sunday's overtime loss in Providence. He carries the second-best plus/minus in the AHL (+22).
P.A. Parentau recorded 1-2-3 and was +3 Sunday in Providence. He stands 10th in the AHL in points (16-26-42 in 41 GP).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.