Game Notes: Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings
Tuesday, 02.05.2008 / 10:42 AM / News
New York Rangers
The Rangers face-off against the Los Angeles Kings today at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in their third of five matches vs. Pacific Division opponents this season. The Blueshirts are currently in fourth place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 27-22-6, and rank seventh in the Eastern Conference with 60 points. New York enters the contest having defeated the Canadiens, 5-3, Sunday afternoon at the Bell Centre and have now won five of their last six games. The Rangers posted a record of 3-1-0 on their four-game road trip, outscoring the opposition, 13-7, during the stretch. Following today's contest, the Rangers will host the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday, February 7, at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.). The Kings, 21-30-3, are currently in fifth place in the Pacific Division standings with 45 points and have lost three of their last five games on the road.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Today's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN New York.
Rangers vs. Kings Pre-Game Notes:
* The Rangers are 17-11-0 at MSG this season; The Kings have posted an 9-14-2 record in 25 road contests.
* The Rangers are 0-2-0 against the Pacific Division this season; The Kings are 1-1-1 vs. Atlantic Division opponents.
* The Rangers are 4-1-0 in their last five games at MSG, outscoring the opponents, 13-6, over the span.
* The Rangers have registered 28 power play goals in their last 143 opportunities for a success rate of 19.6%.
* New York has held their opponents scoreless on the power play in five of their last seven contests.
* The Blueshirts have posted a record of 9-2-1-0 in their last 12 games vs. the Kings at MSG, dating back to a 9-4 win on October 31, 1990.
* The last time the Rangers defeated the Kings at MSG was a 7-6 win on November 29, 2000.
* Jaromir Jagr has collected 25 points (nine goals and 16 assists) in 23 career games vs. Los Angeles; Brendan Shanahan has registered 53 points (21 goals and 32 assists) in 62 career games vs. the Kings; Chris Drury has recorded 22 points (nine goals and 13 assists) in 22 career contests vs. Los Angeles.
* Chris Drury was awarded Third Star honors by the NHL for the week ending February 3, ranking second in the NHL in scoring with six points (four goals and two assists) in four games.
* Brandon Dubinsky is tied for third on the team in scoring (10 points) since January 1, and is tied for first in goals (six); He also leads all NHL rookies and ranks 18th in the league overall in hits (127).
* Scott Gomez enters tonight's contest riding a four-game scoring streak, registering five points (one goal and four assists) over the span.
* Martin Straka is two points shy of 700 career points; Currently, he has registered 253 goals and 445 assists for 698 points in 927 games.
* David Skokan, the Rangers' seventh round pick (193rd overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, has registered 14 goals and 21 assists for 35 points and 62 penalty minutes in 52 games with the Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL); The Poprad, Slovakia native currently ranks sixth on the team in scoring (35 points),
seventh in goals (14) and eighth in assists (21).
* The Rangers' roster lists two former Kings; Sean Avery (2002-03 to 2006-07) and Martin Straka (2003-04).
* The Kings' roster lists two former Rangers; Derek Armstrong (1998-99 to 2000-01) and Jason LaBarbera (2000-01, 2003-04).
All-Time - Rangers vs. Kings
At MSG: 35-17-6-0
At Los Angeles: 27-24-10-0
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Kings
Feb. 5 Rangers vs. Kings at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
Feb. 5 Rangers vs. Los Angeles, 7 p.m.
Feb. 7 Rangers vs. Anaheim, 7 p.m.
Feb. 9 Rangers at Philadelphia, 1 p.m.
Feb. 10 Rangers at Washington, 1 p.m.
Feb. 16 Rangers vs. Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 4-1-0
Last 10 NYR games: 6-3-1
* Marcel Hossa has missed the last five games with a back injury.
* Marek Malik suffered a knee contusion on Thursday at Philadelphia, and has missed two games.
* Brendan Shanahan suffered a leg injury on Friday at New Jersey, and has missed one game.
* The Rangers have lost 97 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack had a four-game winning streak snapped in their last game, a 2-1 shootout loss to Bridgeport (Islanders affiliate) in Hartford on Saturday night, but they are unbeaten in regulation in seven straight games (4-0-2-1) and 11 of their last 12 (8-1-2-1), and have climbed back past Portland (Anaheim affiliate) and into second place in the Atlantic Division. Prior to Saturday's loss, the Pack had thumped Springfield (Edmonton affiliate) by a score of 6-2 on Friday at home. They finish up a season-high five-game homestand tomorrow night (7:00) vs. Manchester (Los Angeles affiliate), and then head on the road to visit league-leading Providence (Boston affiliate) Friday (7:05).
Individual highlights of the Pack's recent games included:
Dane Byers chipped in a pair of assists to the Wolf Pack’s 6-2 home victory over Springfield Friday. He has 2-4-6 in his last four games.
Brodie Dupont notched the GWG and added an assist (Third Star) Friday night vs. Springfield and has goals in two of his last three games (2-1-3), after managing only one assist in his previous 24 outings.
Andrew Hutchinson cored the Pack’s only goal in Saturday’s 2-1 shootout loss vs. Bridgeport, giving him 3-6-9 in his last seven games. He has registered three assists Friday vs. Springfield. Ranks third among AHL defensemen in points (38) and assists (29). Hutchinson was named captain of the Wolf Pack on Jan. 25.
Greg Moore tied for second in the AHL in plus/minus, at a +23. He represented the Wolf Pack at the 2008 AHL All-Star Classic, presented by Reebok, last Sunday and Monday in Binghamton, NY.
P.A. Parenteau earned First-Star honors in Friday's 6-2 home win over Springfield, with two goals. Is tied for tenth in the AHL in points (46).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.