Game Notes: Rangers vs. San Jose Sharks
The Rangers face-off against the San Jose Sharks in a matinee matchup today at Madison Square Garden (1:00 p.m.) in the second game of a back-to-back home set. The Blueshirts are currently tied for third place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 29-24-7, and rank seventh in the Eastern Conference with 65 points. New York enters the contest having defeated the Sabres, 5-1, yesterday at Madison Square Garden and have now earned at least one point in three straight contests (2-0-1). The Rangers have posted a record of 3-2-1 in the second game of back-to-back sets after winning the first game of the set this season. Following today's match, the Rangers will travel to Montreal on Tuesday, February 19, to face-off against the Canadiens at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m.). The Sharks, 31-18-8, are currently in third place in the Pacific Division standings with 70 points and have lost three of their last five games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Today!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN New York.
Rangers vs. Sharks Pre-Game Notes:
* The Rangers are 18-13-0 at MSG this season; The Sharks have posted a 17-5-3 record in 25 road contests.
* The Rangers are 0-4-0 against the Pacific Division this season; The Sharks have not faced an Atlantic Division opponent this season.
* In the last nine games, the Blueshirts have registered seven goals in 37 power play opportunities for a success rate of 18.9 percent.
* New York has surrendered just three power play goals in their last eight contests at MSG.
* The Rangers have posted a record of 3-2-1 in the second game of back-to-back sets after winning the first game of the set this season.
* The Blueshirts notched four, first period goals in yesterday's 5-1 win vs. Buffalo, marking the first time New York has accomplished the feat since March 7, 2003 at Philadelphia.
* The Blueshirts have won four of their last five meetings vs. San Jose, posting a 4-0-1-0 record and outscoring the Sharks, 17-11, over the span.
* New York has posted a 7-2-1-0 record in 10 games vs. the Sharks at MSG.
* In their only meeting last season, Brendan Shanahan registered a game-high, two points (one goal and one assist) and Martin Straka notched the game-winning goal to lead the Rangers to a 3-1 victory.
* Jaromir Jagr has collected 30 points (11 goals and 19 assists) in 23 career games vs. San Jose; Shanahan has registered 66 points (34 goals and 32 assists) in 52 career games vs. the Sharks; Chris Drury has registered 16 points (eight goals and eight assists) in 22 career games vs. San Jose.
* Sean Avery tallied a goal at 0:10 of the opening frame yesterday vs. the Sabres, setting a new record for the fastest goal scored at Madison Square Garden.
* Straka registered his 700th NHL point, an assist, in yesterday's 5-1 victory vs. Buffalo; In 932 career games, the veteran forward has collected 253 goals and 447 assists.
* Tomas Zaborsky, the Rangers' fifth round pick (137th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, has registered 26 goals and 28 assists for 54 points in 54 games with the Saginaw Spirit of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) this season; The second-year player ranks third on the team in scoring (54 points) and has notched two points (one goal and one assist) in the last two games.
* The Rangers' roster lists no former Sharks.
* The Sharks' roster lists one former Ranger; Sandis Ozolinsh (2005-06 to 2006-07).
All-Time - Rangers vs. Sharks
At MSG: 7-2-1-0
At San Jose: 10-2-2-0
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Sharks
Feb. 17 Rangers vs. Sharks at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
Feb. 17 Rangers vs. Sharks, 1 p.m.
Feb. 19 Rangers at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Feb. 23 Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.'
Feb. 24 Rangers vs. Florida, 7 p.m.
Feb. 28 Rangers at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 2-2-1
Last 10 NYR games: 6-3-1
* Petr Prucha suffered a shoulder injury on Feb. 10 at Washington, and has missed one game.
* Marc Staal has missed one game with the flu.
* The Rangers have lost 109 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack equaled a season-high for longest winning streak on Saturday night with their fifth straight triumph, a 6-3 home victory over Portland (Anaheim affiliate). The victory was the Pack’s ninth in their last 10 games, and moved them to within four points of first place in the AHL’s Atlantic Division. The Wolf Pack have exploded for a total of 23 goals in their last four games and are 10-for-22 on the power play over that span, after a 3/7 performance on the man-advantage last night. Ken Gernander’s team also has a season-high unbeaten-in-regulation streak working, 9-0-2-1 in their last 12 games. The Pack wrap up a stretch of four games in five days this afternoon (4:00), as they travel to Bridgeport to take on the Sound Tigers (Islanders affiliate).
Individual highlights of the Pack's recent games included:
Alex Bourret has chipped in two assists in each of the Wolf Pack’s last four games, and has assists in six of his last seven games (0-8-8).
Dane Byers has matched his own Wolf Pack season high with a four-game goal-scoring streak (5-1-6). He netted his first SHG of the season in Friday night’s 6-1 win in Springfield, after striking for 2-1-3 last Friday in Providence, in a 7-5 win over the league-leading Bruins.
Marcel Hossa scored a PPG on his first Wolf Pack shift, 1:16 into Saturday night’s home triumph over Portland.
Andrew Hutchinson established AHL career highs in goals and points in Saturday night’s 6-3 victory vs. Portland, with his 13th goal of season (PPG) and an assist (Third Star), raising his point total for the year to 46.
Hugh Jessiman notched GWG and had an assist in Second-Star performance on Saturday night vs. Portland.
Al Montoya as been in goal for all five of the Wolf Pack wins in their current streak.
P.A. Parenteau arnered First-Star nod on Saturday night in Wolf Pack’s 6-3 home win over Portland, with 2-1-3. He hHas points in six of his last seven games (5-5-10) and is tied for eighth in the AHL in points (53).
Thomas Pock posted a pair of assists on Saturday night vs. Portland, giving him six assists in the last four games.
Corey Potter has assists in back-to-back games and is +22 on the season, good for a tie for second among AHL defensemen and a tie for fourth overall in the league.
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.