Game Notes: Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders
The Rangers face-off against their division rivals, the New York Islanders, tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in the first game of a home and home set. The Blueshirts are currently in third place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 34-24-8, and rank seventh in the Eastern Conference with 76 points. New York enters the contest having defeated the Flyers, 5-4, in a shootout on Sunday at Madison Square Garden and have now earned at least one point in nine straight contests (7-0-2). The Rangers are 12-3-2 in their last 17 contests dating back to a 4-0 win on January 22 vs. Atlanta. Following today's match, the Rangers will travel to Long Island to face-off against the New York Islanders, Thursday, March 6, at Nassau Coliseum (7:00 p.m.) in the second game of the home and home set. The Islanders, 31-29-7, are currently in fifth place in the Atlantic Division standings with 69 points and have lost four of their last five games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN 1050 New York.
Rangers vs. Islanders Pre-Game Notes:
* The Rangers are 21-13-0 at MSG this season; The Islanders have posted a 14-14-4 record in 32 road contests.
* The Rangers are 14-6-0 against the Atlantic Division this season; The Islanders have posted a 11-10-0 record vs. Atlantic Division opponents this season.
* New York has posted a record of 12-3-2 in their last 17 games, including a 6-2-0 record at MSG during the stretch.
* In their last 15 games, the Blueshirts have registered 12 goals in 60 power play opportunities for a success rate of 20.0%.
* New York has surrendered just four power play goals in their last 11 contests at MSG.
* The Blueshirts have won their last five meetings with the Islanders during the month of March, dating back to a 1-0 win on March 17, 2003 at MSG.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 7-5-2 record with a 2.13 goals against average in 15 career regular season appearances vs. the Islanders.
* In the season series, Chris Drury leads the Rangers with four points (two goals and two assists) in four games vs. the Islanders; His two goals are also a team-high.
* Jaromir Jagr has registered 136 points (56 goals and 80 assists) in 87 career games vs. the Islanders; Brendan Shanahan has notched 55 points (24 goals and 31 assists) and 110 penalty minutes in 62 career games vs. the Islanders; Martin Straka has collected 58 points (18 goals and 40 assists) in 59 career contests vs. the Islanders.
* In his last 20 games vs. the Islanders, Jagr has registered 30 points (11 goals and 19 assists), while Straka has collected 25 points (10 goals and 15 assists) in his last 18 games against the Isles.
* Jagr (Dec. 30, 1999 and Oct. 20, 2005), Shanahan (Dec. 3, 2006) and Straka (Mar. 29, 2006) have combined for four career hat tricks vs. the Islanders.
* Shanahan enters tonight's contest riding a seven-game scoring streak, registering eight points (four goals and four assists) over the span; Jagr has a scoring streak of five games, recording eight points (two goals and six assists) during the stretch; Scott Gomez has tallied at least one assist in the last three games (four assists).
* Straka has recorded seven points (two goals and five assists) in the last four games at MSG; Marek Malik has tallied four points (one goal and three assists) in the last two home contests.
* Ryan Hillier, the Rangers' third round pick (84th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, has registered 30 goals and 31 assists for 61 points in 64 games with the Halifax Mooseheads of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) this season; The Halifax, Nova Scotia native, who currently ranks second on the team in goals (30), notched two goals including the overtime game-winner in a 4-3 win vs. the Moncton Wildcats on Saturday at the Halifax Metro
* The Rangers have three former Islanders on their roster; Straka (1995-96), Jason Strudwick (1995-96, 1997-98) and Steve Valiquette (1999-00).
* The Islanders roster lists no former Rangers.
All-Time - Rangers vs. Islanders
At MSG: 59-35-11-1
At Long Island: 39-58-8-1
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Islanders
Oct. 10 Rangers 1, Islanders 2 at Nassau Coliseum
Nov. 6 Rangers 2, Islanders 3 at Nassau Coliseum
Nov. 19 Rangers 1, Islanders 2 at MSG
Nov. 29 Rangers 4, Islanders 2 at MSG
March 4 Rangers vs. Islanders at MSG
March 6 Rangers vs. Islanders at Nassau Coliseum
April 3 Rangers vs. Islanders at Nassau Coliseum
April 4 Rangers vs. Islanders at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
March 4 Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
March 6 Rangers at N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
March 9 Rangers vs. Boston, 3 p.m.
March 10 Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
March 14 Rangers at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 4-0-1
Last 10 NYR games: 7-1-2
* Petr Prucha suffered a shoulder injury on Feb. 10 at Washington, and has missed seven games.
* Paul Mara suffered a facial fracture on Saturday at Buffalo, and has missed three games.
* The Rangers have lost 121 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack have lost back-to-back games, after falling by a 3-0 score at Portland (Anaheim affiliate) on Sunday. That followed a 2-1 home defeat to Manchester (Los Angeles affiliate) onSaturday night. The Pack are 3-4-0-1 in their last eight games, but have registered at least a standings point in 16 of their last 20 outings (12-4-2-2). The Wolf Pack embark on their most distant road trip this weekend, as they travel to Houston (Minnesota affiliate) on Friday night (8:35) and on to San Antonio (Phoenix affiliate) on Saturday (8:00).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.