Game Notes: Rangers vs. Pittsburgh
The Rangers face-off against the Pittsburgh Penguins, today, at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in the second game of a home-and-home set. The Blueshirts are currently tied for third place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 40-27-11, and rank sixth in the Eastern Conference with 91 points. New York enters the contest having been defeated by the Penguins, 3-1, yesterday at Mellon Arena and are now 13-3-5 in their last 21 games. The Rangers are 7-6-2 in the second game of back-to-back sets this season. Following today's match, the Rangers will travel to Long Island to face-off against the Islanders, Thursday, April 3, at Nassau Coliseum (7:00 p.m.) in the first game of a home-and-home set. The Penguins, 46-26-7, are currently in first place in the Atlantic Division standings with 99 points and have won five of their last six games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised nationally on Versus. You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN 1050 New York.
Rangers vs. Penguins Pre-Game Notes:
* The Rangers are 24-13-2 at MSG this season; The Penguins have posted a 21-16-2 record in 39 road contests.
* The Rangers are 18-7-3 against the Atlantic Division this season; The Penguins have posted a 14-13-2 record vs. Atlantic Division opponents this season.
* The Blueshirts have posted a 18-6-5 record in their last 29 games dating back to Jan. 22 vs. Atlanta, including a 9-2-2 mark at MSG during the stretch.
* The Rangers have notched three goals in their last seven power play attempts over the last two games, for a success rate of 42.9%.
* New York has surrendered just four power play goals in their last 16 contests at MSG (40 for 44, 90.9%).
* The Rangers are 7-6-2 in the second game of back-to-back sets this season, including a 3-2-0 mark when the second game is at MSG.
* The Rangers have earned a point in nine of the last 12 meetings with Pittsburgh for a 7-3-2 record over the span.
* The Blueshirts have posted a record of 12-6-3 in their last 21 matches vs. the Penguins, including a mark of 8-1-1 in 10 games at MSG during the stretch.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 11-6-3 record, along with a 2.17 goals against average and one shutout in 20 career regular season appearances vs. the Penguins; In seven games this season, Lundqvist is 4-3-0 with a 2.00 goals against average and one shutout.
* In seven games vs. the Penguins this season, Michal Rozsival leads the Rangers with seven points (three goals and
* Brendan Shanahan has registered 48 points (26 goals and 22 assists) in 57 career games vs. the Penguins; Jaromir Jagr has collected 34 points (16 goals and 18 assists) in 35 career matches vs. Pittsburgh; Rozsival has recorded 18 points (six goals and 12 assists) in 23 regular season contests vs. the Penguins.
* Christian Backman has registered five points (one goal and four assists) in the last four games.
* Bobby Sanguinetti, the Rangers' first round pick (21st overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, registered 29 goals and 41 assists for 70 points and a plus-10 rating in 61 games with the Brampton Battalion of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) this season; The Eastern Conference All-Star led his team with three assists and ranked second with four points (one goal and three assists) in five Playoff games.
* The Rangers have three former Penguins on their roster; Jagr (1990-91 to 2000-01), Rozsival (1999-00 to 2002-03) and Martin Straka (1992-93 to 1994-95, 1997-98 to 2003-04).
* The Penguins roster lists four former Rangers; Pascal Dupuis (2006-07), Adam Hall (2006-07), Petr Sykora (2005-06), and Jeff Taffe (2005-06).
All-Time - Rangers vs. Penguins
At MSG: 59-43-9-1
At Pittsburgh: 47-46-14-5
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Penguins
Oct. 23 Rangers 0 vs. Penguins 1 at Pittsburgh
Nov. 8 Rangers 4, Penguins 2 at MSG
Nov. 17 Rangers 4, Penguins 3 at Pittsburgh
Dec. 18 Rangers 4, Penguins 0 at MSG
Jan. 14 Rangers vs. Penguins at Pittsburgh
March 18 Rangers 5, Penguins 2 at MSG
March 30 Rangers 1, Penguins 3 at Pittsburgh
March 31 Rangers vs. Penguins at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
March 31 Rangers vs. Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
April 3 Rangers at N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
April 4 Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
April 6 Rangers at New Jersey, 3 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 2-1-2
Last 10 NYR games: 5-3-2
* Blair Betts underwent minor foot surgery on March 20 and has missed four games.
* Colton Orr has missed one game with a broken foot.
* The Rangers have lost 139 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack swept a four-games-in-five-days schedule this past week, capping it off with a 4-3 shootout win at Bridgeport (Islanders affiliate) on Sunday, after the Pack had lost its previous six trips to the shootout. That win put the Wolf Pack up over 100 points on the season, the fifth time in the franchise’s 11-year history that the team has hit the century mark in points. The night before, at home vs. Springfield (Edmonton affiliate), the Pack registered a record-setting triumph, as they pounded the Falcons by a score of 10-1. The nine-goal margin of victory was the largest in Wolf Pack history, and the 10 goals tied the most ever scored by the Pack in a single game. Friday saw the Wolf Pack eke out a 3-2 home-ice victory over Worcester, which gave the Pack its first-ever sweep of a season series as long as eight games. Ken Gernander’s club started the week with an 8-2 victory at Lowell (New Jersey affiliate), which, until Saturday, represented the Pack's largest goal output of the season. The Wolf Pack have won five straight games, are unbeaten in regulation in eight in a row (7-0-0-1) and have at least a standings point in 10 of their last 11 (9-1-0-1). The club is now off until Friday night (7:05), when it faces a showdown on the road with first-place Providence (Boston affiliate).
Individual highlights of the Pack's recent games included:
Andrew Hutchcinson established a Wolf Pack team record for assists by a defenseman (47) with two helpouts in Sunday’s shootout win at Bridgeport, after surpassing the team mark for points by a blueliner (which had been 61) with 1-2-3 (Second Star) in the Pack’s 10-1 victory Saturday over Springfield. He had eclipsed the Wolf Pack goals record for defensemen with his 16th of the season (PP-GWG) in Wednesday night’s 8-2 win at Lowell. Hutchinson has 3-14-17 in his last 11 games and 8-18-26 in his last 17. He leads AHL defensemen in points (64), by a margin of 14 over his nearest competitor, and assists, and is tied for 11th overall in the league in points.
Mitch Fritz returned to action in Friday night’s 3-2 home-ice win vs. Worcester, after missing 69 games while recovering from shoulder surgery, and registered his first two Wolf Pack points with a pair of assists in the Pack’s 10-1 victory over Springfield Saturday.
Hugh Jessiman ad a six-game point-scoring streak (3-6-9), which tied his pro career high, snapped on Sunday at Bridgeport, after striking for 1-2-3 (Third Star) in Saturday’s 10-1 pounding of Springfield.
Lauri Korpikosi's 20th goal of the season was the game-winner in Friday night’s 3-2 triumph at home over Worcester, and he notched his 21st of the year, plus the shootout winner, on Sunday at Bridgeport. He has points in four straight games (2-2-4), tying his AHL career high, and seven of his last eight (4-4-8).
Greg Moore is currently riding a pro career-high seven-game point-scoring streak (5-6-11), which ties a Wolf Pack season best.
P.A. Parenteau notched 1-2-3 in Sunday’s 4-3 shootout win at Bridgeport (Second Star), giving him 1-4-5 in the last two games and at least a point in seven of his last eight outings (7-8-15). He had a five-game goal-scoring run (6-4-10), which equaled a Pack season high, snapped in Friday night’s 3-2 home win over Worcester. Parenteau has climbed to third in the AHL in points (78) and is tied for fourth in the league in goals, with a pro career-high 32.
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.