Game Notes: Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders
The Rangers face-off against the New York Islanders, today, at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in their regular season home finale. The Blueshirts are currently in third place in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 42-27-11, and rank fifth in the Eastern Conference with 95 points. The Rangers enter the contest having defeated the Islanders, 3-0, yesterday at Nassau Coliseum to clinch their third consecutive playoff appearance, and are now 15-3-5 in their last 23 games. The Blueshirts are 8-6-2 in the second game of back-to-back sets this season. Following today's match, the Rangers will travel to New Jersey to face-off against the Devils, Sunday, April 6, at the Prudential Center (3:00 p.m.) in their final game of the regular season. The Islanders, 34-38-9, are currently in fifth place in the Atlantic Division standings with 77 points and have lost five of their last six games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN 1050 New York.
Rangers vs. Islanders Pre-Game Notes:
* The Blueshirts clinched a playoff appearance for the third consecutive season with a 3-0 win, yesterday at Long Island.
* The Rangers are 25-13-2 at MSG this season; The Islanders have posted a 16-20-4 record in 40 road contests.
* The Rangers are 20-7-3 against the Atlantic Division this season; The Islanders have posted a 14-15-2 record vs. Atlantic Division opponents this season.
* The Blueshirts have posted a 20-6-5 record in their last 31 games dating back to Jan. 22 vs. Atlanta, including a 10-2-2 mark at MSG during the stretch.
* The Rangers have notched seven goals in their last 19 power play attempts over the last four games, for a success rate of 36.8%.
* New York has surrendered just four power play goals in their last 17 contests at MSG (44 for 48, 91.7%).
* The Rangers are 8-6-2 in the second game of back-to-back sets this season, including a 4-2-0 mark when the second game is at MSG.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 9-5-3 record with a 1.99 goals against average and one shutout in 18 career regular season appearances vs. the Islanders; In seven games this season, Lundqvist is 3-3-1 with a 1.85 goals against average and one shutout.
* In the season series, Jaromir Jagr is tied for the team lead in goals (three) and points (six).
* Jagr has registered 139 points (58 goals and 81 assists) in 90 career games vs. the Islanders; Brendan Shanahan has notched 56 points (25 goals and 31 assists) in 64 career games vs. the Islanders; Martin Straka has collected 61 points (19 goals and 42 assists) in 62 career contests vs. the Islanders.
* Lundqvist recorded his 10th shutout of the season in yesterday's 3-0 win at Long Island, the most by a Rangers' goaltender since John Ross Roach posted 13 shutouts in 1928-29.
* Jagr has collected 19 points (eight goals and 11 assists) in the last 19 games; Christian Backman has registered six points (one goal and five assists) in the last six games.
* Ryan Hillier, the Rangers' third round pick (84th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, registered 34 goals and 38 assists for 72 points in 70 games with the Halifax Mooseheads of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) this season; The Halifax, Nova Scotia native, who agreed to terms on a professional contract with the Rangers on Wednesday, has recorded four goals and five assists for nine points in six playoff games for the Mooseheads as they prepare to face-off against Cape Breton, today, in the first game of their Quarterfinal matchup.
* The Rangers have three former Islanders on their roster; Straka (1995-96), Jason Strudwick (1995-96,1997-98) and Stephen Valiquette (1999-00).
* The Islanders roster lists no former Rangers.
All-Time - Rangers vs. Islanders
At MSG: 59-35-11-2
At Long Island: 41-58-8-1
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Islanders
Oct. 10 Rangers 1, Islanders 2 at Nassau Coliseum
Nov. 6 Rangers 2, Islanders 3 at Nassau Coliseum
Nov. 19 Rangers 1, Islanders 2 at MSG
Nov. 29 Rangers 4, Islanders 2 at MSG
March 4 Rangers 3, Islanders 4 (SO) at MSG
March 6 Rangers 4, Islanders 1 at Nassau Coliseum
April 3 Rangers 3, Islanders 0 at Nassau Coliseum
April 4 Rangers vs. Islanders at MSG
Upcoming Regular Season Schedule
April 3 Rangers at N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
April 4 Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
April 6 Rangers at New Jersey, 3 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 3-1-1
Last 10 NYR games: 5-3-2
* Blair Betts underwent minor foot surgery on March 20 and has missed six games.
* Colton Orr has missed three games with a broken foot.
* Brendan Shanahan has missed one game with a leg injury.
* The Rangers have lost 144 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.