Game Notes: Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils
2008 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS ROUND 1, GAME 3
The Rangers face off against the New Jersey Devils tonight at Madison Square Garden in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals (7:00 PM). On Friday, the Rangers defeated the Devils, 2-1, in Game Two, marking the second consecutive season that the Blueshirts have taken a 2-0 lead in a postseason series on the road. New York enters today's game with a 191-203-8 all-time record in its previous 402 playoff contests, including an 106-78-2 mark at home. The Rangers have posted a 32-39 record all-time in Game Three's of postseason series.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN 1050 New York.
Rangers vs. Devils Pre-Game Notes:
* The Blueshirts took a 2-0 lead on the road vs. the Atlanta Thrashers in last year's Eastern Conference Quarterfinals; The last time before that the Rangers returned home to MSG with a 2-0 lead in a playoff series was 1983 when they swept the Philadelphia Flyers 3-0 in the Division Semifinals.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 2-0 record, along with a 1.00 goals against average and a .963 save percentage in two postseason appearances; He ranks first in the league in save percentage (.963%), is tied for first in the league in wins (two) and is tied for first in goals against average (1.00 GAA).
* Ryan Callahan leads the league with one shorthanded goal in the playoffs, and ranks first among rookies with one game-winning goal.
* Dan Girardi is tied for second in the league among defensemen in assists (two) and points (two) in the playoffs.
* Sean Avery (two goals and one assist), Brendan Shanahan (one goal and two assists) and Scott Gomez (three assists) are tied for sixth in the league with three points apiece in the playoffs.
* Avery is tied for second in the league with two goals in the playoffs.
* Scott Gomez is tied for fifth in the league with three assists in the playoffs.
* Fedor Tyutin, Scott Gomez and Girardi are tied for first in the league in plus/minus rating (plus-four) in the playoffs; Avery is tied for fifth with a plus-three rating.
* Nigel Dawes (goal), Callahan (goal) and Brandon Dubinsky (assist) are tied for second in the league among rookies in scoring with one point apiece in the playoffs.
* In the first two games of this series, the Rangers have surrendered one goal in nine times shorthanded (88.9%).
* The following members of the Rangers have won a Stanley Cup: Jaromir Jagr (Pittsburgh - 1991, 1992), Shanahan (Detroit - 1997, 1998, 2002), Gomez (New Jersey - 2000, 2003), and Chris Drury (Colorado - 2001).
* The following members of the Rangers have played in the Stanley Cup Finals: Jagr (Pittsburgh - 1991, 1992), Shanahan (Detroit - 1997, 1998, 2002), Gomez (New Jersey - 2000, 2001, 2003), Drury (Colorado - 2001), Martin Straka (Florida - 1996), Marek Malik (Carolina - 2002).
* The Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) have clinched a trip to the Calder Cup playoffs for the 11th consecutive season; The Wolf Pack currently rank second in the Eastern Conference with a 49-20-2-8 record for 108 points in 79 games.
* The Rangers have two former Devils on their roster; Gomez (1999-00 to 2006-07) and Shanahan (1987-88 to 1990-91).
* The Devils roster lists two former Rangers; Karel Rachunek (2003-04, 2006-07) and Kevin Weekes (2005-06 to 2006-07).
All-Time Playoff History - Rangers vs. Devils
The Rangers and Devils are meeting in the playoffs for the fifth time overall and the second time in three years. The clubs' last postseason encounter was an Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series in 2006, won by New Jersey 4-0. Overall, Blueshirts have a 3-1 playoff series record vs. the Devils, posting a 14-11-0 mark in 25 postseason contests.
Remaining Schedule and Results for Series
(Rangers lead series 2-0)
April 9 Rangers 4, Devils 1 at New Jersey
April 11 Rangers 2, New Jersey 1 at New Jersey
April 13 Rangers vs. New Jersey at MSG, 7 p.m.
April 16 Rangers vs. New Jersey at MSG, 7 p.m.
April 18* Rangers at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m.
April 20* Rangers vs. New Jersey at MSG, TBD
April 22* Rangers at New Jersey, TBD
* -- if necessary
Rangers' All-Time Playoff Records
* Colton Orr has missed the last seven games with a broken foot.
* The Rangers have lost two manpower games due to injury or illness during the 2008 postseason.