Rangers 2, Pittsburgh Penguins 3 (OT)
POST-GAME NOTES: STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS ROUND 2, GAME 5
Sunday, 05.04.2008 / 7:00 PM / News
New York Rangers
Recap | Box Score
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. M. HOSSA -- PIT
2. E. MALKIN -- PIT
3. H. LUNDQVIST -- NYR
* The Rangers are now winless in four postseason series against the Penguins, having also lost best-of-seven series in 1989, 1992, and 1996.
* Sunday's loss ended the second straight season in which the Rangers exited the playoffs in the conference semifinal round.
* Sunday's overtime was the second for the Rangers in the 2008 playoffs. They had earlier lost to New Jersey in Game 3 of their first-round playof series.
* Although held without a point on Sunday, Jaromir Jagr led the Rangers in post-season scoring with 15 points (5-10-15).
* Lauri Korpikoski, 21-year-old center called up from Hartford, made his NHL debut and started the Rangers comeback in the third period by scoring his first NHL goal. He became the first Rangers player to make his NHL debut in a playoff game since Doug Weight did so on April 13, 1991.
* Nigel Dawes scored his second goal of the playoffs, and first of the series, to tie the game 2-2 at the 3:25 mark of the third period.
* Center Scott Gomez earned an assist on Dawes' goal. Gomez finished the post-season with 11 points (4-7-11), second best on the club.
* Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist played a strong game in goal, stopping 37 shots, despite the loss.