Game Notes: Rangers vs. Pittsburgh
Saturday, 10.25.2008 / 9:58 AM / News
New York Rangers
The Rangers face-off against the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in the second game of a back-to-back set. The Blueshirts currently sit atop the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 7-2-1, and rank first in the Eastern Conference with 15 points. The Rangers enter tonight's contest having defeated the Blue Jackets, 3-1, yesterday at Nationwide Arena, and are 2-2-1 in their last five contests after starting the season 5-0-0. Following tonight's match, the Rangers will travel to Long Island to face-off against Islanders on Monday, October 27, at Nassau Coliseum (7:00 p.m.) in their third game in four nights. The Penguins, 5-2-1, currently rank fifth in the Eastern Conference standings with 11 points, and have won their last three games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on WABC (770 AM)
Rangers vs. Penguins Pre-Game Notes
* Tonight marks only the second time in league history, and first time since October 5, 2005, that all 30 NHL teams will be in action on the same day; At 9:08 PM ET, 12 NHL games will be in progress simultaneously.
* The Rangers trailed 3-1 in the second period at Philadelphia, but tallied four straight goals to win 5-3 on Oct. 5, 2005.
* A total of 95 goals (6.3 per game), including 27 power play goals in 204 chances (13.2%) were notched on Oct. 5, 2005; The total league attendance for the day was 275,447, the highest single-date figure in NHL history.
* The Rangers are 4-2-0 at home this season; The Penguins have posted a 2-0-0 record in two road contests.
* The Rangers are 2-0-0 against the Atlantic Division this season; The Penguins have posted a 1-0-1 record vs. Atlantic Division opponents this season.
* The Blueshirts are 2-0-1 in the second game of back-to-back sets this season.
* New York tallied nine goals in 42 power play chances (21.4%) in eight games vs. Pittsburgh last season; Chris Drury tied for the team lead with two goals on the man advantage.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 12-6-3 record with a 2.11 goals against average and one shutout in 21 career regular season appearances vs. the Penguins; In eight games last season, Lundqvist was 5-3-0 with a 1.87 goals against average and one shutout.
* In the 2007-08 season series, Scott Gomez and Michal Rozsival tied for the team lead in goals (three) and points (seven); Drury tied for second on the club with four assists in eight games vs. Pittsburgh.
* Gomez has registered 41 points (nine goals and 32 assists) in 50 career games vs. the Penguins; Drury has notched 25 points (10 goals and 15 assists) in 27 career games vs. Pittsburgh; Rozsival has collected 18 points (six goals and 12 assists) in 24 career contests vs. the Penguins; Markus Naslund has recorded 15 points (10 goals and five assists) in 14 career appearances vs. Pittsburgh.
* Tom Renney won his 140th game as the Blueshirts' Head Coach last night in Columbus, and is now one win shy of tying Roger Neilson for fourth on the Rangers' all-time coaching wins list.
* Carl Hagelin, the Rangers' sixth round selection (168th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, has registered one goal and six assists for seven points in five games with the University of Michigan Wolverines of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA); He currently leads the team in assists (six) and ranks second on the club in points (seven).
* New York lists two former Penguins on their roster; Naslund (1993-94 to 1995-96) and Rozsival (1999-00 to 2002-03).
* Pittsburgh's roster lists three former Rangers; Pascal Dupuis (2006-07), Petr Sykora (2005-06) and Jeff Taffe (2005-06).
All Time – Rangers vs. Penguins
At MSG: 60-43-9-1
At Pittsburgh: 47-46-14-5
2008-09 - Rangers vs. Penguins
Oct. 25 Rangers vs. Penguins at MSG
Dec. 3 Rangers vs. Penguins at MSG
Jan. 5 Rangers vs. Penguins at MSG
Jan. 18 Rangers vs. Penguins at Pittsburgh
Jan. 28 Rangers vs. Penguins at Pittsburgh
March 28 Rangers vs. Penguins at Pittsburgh
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Penguins
Oct. 23 Rangers 0, Penguins 1 at Pittsburgh
Nov. 8 Rangers 4, Penguins 2 at MSG
Nov. 17 Rangers 4, Pens 3 (OT) at Pittsburgh
Dec. 18 Rangers 4, Penguins 0 at MSG
Jan. 14 Rangers 1, Penguins 4 at Pittsburgh
March 18 Rangers 5, Penguins 2 at MSG
March 30 Rangers 1, Penguins 3 at Pittsburgh
March 31 Rangers 2, Penguins 1 (OT) at MSG
Upcoming Regular-Season Schedule
Oct. 25 Rangers vs. Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Oct. 27 Rangers at Islanders, 7 p.m.
Oct. 30 Rangers vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m.
Nov. 1 Rangers at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Nov. 4 Rangers vs. Islanders, 7 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 2-2-1
Last 10 NYR games: 7-2-1
* The Rangers have lost one manpower game due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack snapped a three-game losing streak (0-2-0-1) on Friday night with a 2-1 home-ice win over the Philadelphia Phantoms (Flyers affiliate), the Wolf Pack’s first regulation triumph of the season. The victory was the Pack’s second in six games on the year (2-3-0-1) and upped the club’s home record to 2-1-0-0, in the first of seven consecutive home games. The Wolf Pack finished off a stretch of three straight road outings with a 5-4 shootout loss at Worcester (San Jose affiliate) on Wednesday. The club is back at home tonight (7:00), hosting Manchester (Los Angeles affiliate). Portland (Buffalo affiliate) comes to town on Wednesday (7:00), Worcester on Friday (7:00) and Albany (New Jersey affiliate) next Saturday (7:00).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.