Game Notes: Rangers vs. Atlanta Thrashers
The Rangers face-off against the Atlanta Thrashers tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.) in their final game during the month of October. The Blueshirts currently sit atop the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 9-2-1, and rank first in the Eastern Conference with 19 points. The Rangers enter tonight's contest having defeated the Islanders, 4-2, on Monday at Nassau Coliseum, and are 4-1-1 in their last six contests. With the win, the Blueshirts tied the franchise record for best start through 12 games (1978-79 and 1989-90), and tied the team record for most wins through 12 games (1983-84). Following tonight's match, the Rangers will travel to Toronto to face-off against the Maple Leafs on Saturday, November 1, at the Air Canada Centre (7:00 p.m.). The Thrashers, 2-5-2, currently rank 14th in the Eastern Conference standings with six points, and have lost their last four games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on AM 970 The Apple.
Rangers vs Thrashers Pre-Game Notes
* With Monday's 4-2 win at Long Island, the Rangers tied the franchise record for best start through 12 games, improving to 9-2-1 on the season for 19 points; The Blueshirts also registered 19 points through 12 games in 1978-79 (8-1-3) and 1989-90 (8-1-3).
* New York's nine wins through 12 games is tied for the team record set in 1983-84, when the team began the season with a 9-3-0 record.
* Tom Renney notched his 142nd win as Head Coach of the Rangers on Monday at Long Island, passing Roger Neilson for fourth on the Rangers' all-time coaching wins list.
* The Rangers are 5-2-0 at home this season; The Thrashers have posted a 0-2-2 record in four road contests.
* The Rangers are 2-0-0 against the Southeast Division this season; The Thrashers have posted a 0-2-0 record vs. Atlantic Division opponents this season.
* Including two games from the 2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Blueshirts have won the last four meetings at MSG, outscoring the Thrashers 17-3 over the span.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 4-2-4 record with a 2.18 goals against average and one shutout in 11 career regular
season appearances vs. the Thrashers; In three games last season, Lundqvist was 2-1-0 with a 1.95 goals against average and one shutout.
* Last season, Scott Gomez and Chris Drury tied for second on the team in assists (three) and points (four) in four games vs. Atlanta.
* Scott Gomez has registered 30 points (10 goals and 20 assists) in 30 career games vs. the Thrashers; Chris Drury has notched 20 points (five goals and 15 assists) in 22 career games vs. Atlanta; Wade Redden has recorded 19 points (three goals and 16 assists) in 31 career contests vs. the Thrashers.
* Markus Naslund enters tonight's contest riding a four-game scoring streak, registering six points (two goals and four assists) over the span; Chris Drury (two goals and two assists) and Nikolai Zherdev (two goals and three assists) have both recorded at least one point in each of the last three contests.
* Brandon Dubinsky skated in his 100th career NHL game on Monday at Long Island.
* Chris Doyle, the Rangers' fifth round selection (141st overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has registered seven goals and 14 assists for 21 points in 15 games with the Prince Edward Island Rocket of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL); Doyle was named the QMJHL Offensive Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 26, recording eight points (two goals and six assists) and a 67.9% faceoff winning percentage in four games during the stretch.
* New York lists no former Thrashers on their roster.
* Atlanta's roster lists no former Rangers.
All Time – Rangers vs. Thrashers
At MSG: 6-6-1-3
At Atlanta: 9-5-0-2
2008-09 - Rangers vs. Thrashers
Oct. 30 Rangers vs. Thrashers at MSG
Dec. 10 Rangers vs. Thrashers at Atlanta
Feb. 3 Rangers vs. Thrashers at MSG
March 26 Rangers vs. Thrashers at Atlanta
2007-08 – Rangers vs. Thrashers
Oct. 18 Rangers 3 vs. Thrashers 5 at Atlanta
Dec. 7 Rangers 2 vs. Thrashers 4 at Atlanta
Jan. 22 Rangers 4 vs. Thrashers 0 at MSG
Jan. 24 Rangers 2 vs. Thrashers 1 (SO) at MSG
Upcoming Regular-Season Schedule
Oct. 30 Rangers vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m.
Nov. 1 Rangers at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Nov. 4 Rangers vs. Islanders, 7 p.m.
Nov. 6 Rangers vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Nov. 8 Rangers at Washington, 7 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 3-1-1
Last 10 NYR games: 7-2-1
* The Rangers have lost one manpower game due to injury or illness this season.