Game Notes: Rangers vs. Calgary Flames
Sunday, 12.07.2008 / 10:31 AM / News
New York Rangers
The Rangers face-off against the Calgary Flames tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:30 p.m.). The Blueshirts currently sit atop the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 18-9-2, and rank second in the Eastern Conference with 38 points. The Rangers enter tonight's contest having been defeated by the Canadiens, 6-2, Thursday at the Bell Centre, and have won four of their last six games. Following tonight's match, the Rangers will travel to Atlanta to face-off against the Thrashers on Wednesday, Dec. 10, at Philips Arena (7:00 p.m.). The Flames, 15-10-1, currently rank in a tie for fourth in the Western Conference standings with 31 points, and have won six of their last eight games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Today's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on WABC (770 AM) and on satellite radio at XM 206.
Rangers vs. Flames Pre-Game Notes
* The Rangers are 11-5-1 at home this season; The Flames have posted a 6-6-0 record in 12 road contests.
* The Rangers are 0-1-1 against the Northwest Division this season; The Flames have not faced an Atlantic Division opponent this season.
* New York has held opponents scoreless on the power play in each of its last three contests (9-9, 100.0 percent), and rank first in the league on the season with a 90.1 percent success rate (100 of 111).
* The Rangers lead the NHL with 778 hits, including a league-high 564 hits at home; Four Blueshirts rank in the top 20 in the NHL - Ryan Callahan (80 hits, 6th), Dan Girardi (77 hits, T-7th), Brandon Dubinsky (65 hits, T-16th), and Marc Staal (65 hits, T-16th).
* The Blueshirts have won five of their last eight meetings with the Flames, and four of their last six at MSG.
* The Rangers converted three of three shootout attempts on Wednesday vs. Pittsburgh for only the second time in franchise history; The last time New York accomplished the feat was on Nov. 22, 2005 at Buffalo.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 1-1-0 record, along with a 3.03 goals against average in two career regular season appearances vs. Calgary.
* Last season, Scott Gomez tied for the team lead with two assists/points in one game vs. Calgary; Brandon Dubinsky and Michal Rozsival each notched one goal apiece.
* Markus Naslund has registered 66 points (32 goals and 34 assists) in 72 career games vs. the Flames; Chris Drury has notched 17 points (seven goals and 10 assists) in 25 career games vs. Calgary; Scott Gomez has recorded 11 points (two goals and nine assists) in eight career contests vs. the Flames.
* The Rangers have posted a 12-2-0 record when Nikolai Zherdev records at least one point, and are 8-0-0 when he notches a goal.
* Zherdev has notched at least one point in seven of the last eight games, registering nine points (two goals and seven assists) over the span.
* Antoine Lafleur, the Rangers' second round choice (48th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, has posted a 7-4-0 record, along with a 3.08 goals against average and .861 save percentage in 12 games with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) this season; Lafleur was named the QMJHL TELUS Defensive Player of the Week for the period ending November 23, stopping 49 shots to record a 1.49 goals against average and .942 save percentage in two road wins.
* New York lists two former Flames on their roster; Blair Betts (2001-02 to 2003-04) and Chris Drury (2002-03).
* Calgary's roster lists no former Rangers.
All Time – Rangers vs. Flames
At MSG: 25-23-5-0
At Calgary: 12-28-10-0
2008-09 - Rangers vs. Flames
Dec. 7 Rangers vs. Flames at MSG
2007-08 - Rangers vs. Flames
Jan. 2 Rangers 3 vs. Flames 4 at Calgary
Upcoming Regular-Season Schedule
Dec. 7 Rangers vs. Calgary, 7:30 p.m.
Dec. 10 Rangers at Atlanta, 7 p.m.
Dec. 12 Rangers at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Dec. 13 Rangers vs. Carolina, 7 p.m.
Dec. 16 Rangers at Anaheim, 10 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 3-2-0
Last 10 NYR games: 6-4-0
* Blair Betts has missed one game with an upper body injury suffered on Dec. 3 vs. Pittsburgh.
* The Rangers have lost eight manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack lost both games of a two-game Pennsylvania road trip this weekend. The Philadelphia Phantoms (Flyers affiliate) defeated the Pack, 6-3, Friday night, and the Wolf Pack dropped a 4-2 decision on Saturday night in Hershey (Washington affiliate) to the league-leading Bears. Wednesday night saw the Pack rebound from deficits of 2-0 and 3-1 in Bridgeport, to post a 4-3 overtime win over the Sound Tigers (Islanders). This week’s action capped off stretches of four straight and seven out of eight on the road for the Wolf Pack, and the club starts a run of six out of seven at home Wednesday (7:00) with a battle against division-leading Providence (Boston affiliate). Worcester (San Jose affiliate) invades the XL Center on Friday night (7:00), and Springfield (Edmonton affiliate) comes in on Saturday (7:00), before the Pack travel to Worcester on Sunday (4:05).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.