Game Notes: Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders
Monday, 12.29.2008 / 12:32 PM / News
New York Rangers
The Rangers face-off against the New York Islanders tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), to close out a three-game homestand. The Blueshirts currently sit atop the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 22-13-3, and rank third in the Eastern Conference with 47 points. The Rangers enter tonight's contest having been defeated by the Devils, 4-2, on Saturday at Madison Square Garden, and have recorded a point in four of their last six games (3-2-1). Following tonight's contest, the Rangers will travel to Washington to face-off against the Capitals on Saturday, Jan. 3, at the Verizon Center (7:00 p.m.). The Islanders, 11-21-4, currently rank 15th in the Eastern Conference standings with 26 points, and have lost 11 of their last 12 games.
Download complete game notes >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Today's game will be televised nationally on Versus. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN New York and on satellite radio at XM 205.
Rangers vs. Islanders Pre-Game Notes
* The Rangers are 12-7-2 at home this season; The Islanders have posted a 5-12-2 record in 19 road contests.
* The Rangers are 6-3-0 against the Atlantic Division this season; The Islanders have posted a 1-7-2 record vs. Atlantic Division opponents this season.
* The Rangers are 4-1-2 in their last seven meetings with Long Island, outscoring the Islanders, 22-15, during the stretch.
* The Blueshirts have outshot the Islanders in each of their last seven games, registering 250 shots on net and surrendering just 175 shots against over the span.
* In their last six contests vs. the Islanders, the Rangers have held the Islanders scoreless in 18 power play opportunities.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 10-6-4 record with a 2.03 goals against average and one shutout in 21 career regular season appearances vs. the Islanders; In two games this season, Lundqvist is 1-1-0 with a 2.03 goals against average.
* In the season series, five Rangers' players are tied for the team lead with two points in two games vs. the Islanders; Chris Drury leads the club with two goals, while Michal Rozsival and Wade Redden have tallied a team-leading two assists apiece; Scott Gomez and Markus Naslund have each recorded one goal and one assist.
* Gomez has registered 40 points (nine goals and 31 assists) in 51 career games vs. the Islanders; Drury has notched 27 points (12 goals and 15 assists) in 30 career games vs. Long Island; Naslund has recorded 22 points (nine goals and 13 assists) in 24 career contests vs. the Islanders.
* Corey Potter recorded his first career NHL point with an assist at 8:59 of the third period on Saturday vs. New Jersey.
* Nigel Dawes has tallied at least one point in four of the last five games, registering five points (two goals and three assists) over the span.
* The Rangers have posted a 4-1-1 record in six Monday contests this season.
* Tomas Kundratek, the Rangers' third round choice (90th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has registered one assist in two games for the Czech Republic at the 2009 IIHF U-20 World Junior Championship in Canada; The Jrinec, Czech Republic native is currently tied for second on the team in assists and third in points.
* New York lists one former Islander on its roster; Stephen Valiquette (1999-00).
* The Islanders roster lists one former Ranger; Doug Weight (1990-91 to 1992-93).
All Time – Rangers vs. Islanders
At MSG: 59-36-11-3
At Long Island: 42-58-8-1
2008-09 - Rangers vs. Islanders
Oct. 27 Rangers 4 vs. Islanders 2 at Uniondale
Nov. 4 Rangers 1 vs. Islanders 2 at MSG
Dec. 29 Rangers vs. Islanders at MSG
Jan. 13 Rangers vs. Islanders at Uniondale
Feb. 18 Rangers vs. Islanders at MSG
March 5 Rangers vs. Islanders at Uniondale
Upcoming Regular-Season Schedule
Dec. 29 Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
Jan. 3 Rangers at Washington, 7 p.m.
Jan. 5 Rangers vs. Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Jan. 7 Rangers vs. Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Jan. 9 Rangers at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 2-2-1
Last 10 NYR games: 4-5-1
* Michal Rozsival has missed one contest due to personal reasons.
* The Rangers have lost 10 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack’s final game of calendar year 2008 ended in a 5-4 loss in Lowell (New Jersey affiliate) on Sunday night, after the Devils came back from deficits of 2-0, 3-1 and 4-3. Two of the Wolf Pack’s goals were shorthanded, tying a franchise single-game record. The Pack came from behind in Saturday’s visit to Springfield (Edmonton affiliate), posting a 4-3 overtime win on a goal by Artem Anisimov. The Pack had trailed 2-0 after the first period of that game. The club’s first action after a four-day Christmas break was a 3-1 loss Friday at Bridgeport (Islanders affiliate). The Pack is in the midst of a stretch in which it plays seven out of nine on the road, but the two home games in that stretch come back-to-back this Friday and Saturday (both 7:00), vs. Grand Rapids (Detroit affiliate) and Hershey (Washington affiliate) respectively.
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.