Game Notes: Rangers vs. Washington
Game 3 of 2009 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals
The Rangers face-off against the Washington Capitals tonight at Madison Square Garden in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals (7:00 p.m.). On Saturday, the Rangers defeated the Capitals, 1-0, in Game Two, marking the third consecutive season that the Blueshirts have taken a 2-0 lead in a post-season series on the road. New York enters today's game with a 196-208-8 all-time record in its previous 412 playoff contests, including a 108-80-2 mark at home. The Blueshirts have posted a 32-41 record all-time in Game Three's of post-season series.
Download complete game notes >>*
Download complete Round 1 Playoff Guide (12 MB) >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN New York and on satellite radio at XM 206.
Rangers vs. Capitals Pre-Game Notes
* The Blueshirts return to MSG with a 2-0 lead in a playoff series for the third consecutive year, having accomplished the feat vs. Atlanta in the 2007 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals and vs. New Jersey in the 2008 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals; the last time before that the Rangers returned to MSG with a 2-0 lead in a playoff series was 1983 when they swept the Philadelphia Flyers 3-0 in the best-of-5 Division Semifinals.
* Entering tonight's contest, New York has posted a 196-208-8 record in 412 post-season contests, including a 108-80-2 mark at MSG.
* The Rangers have posted a 32-41 record all-time in Game Three's of post-season series.
* The Rangers have notched two goals in nine power play opportunities (22.2%) in the first two games of the series.
* In the first two games of this series, the Rangers have surrendered two goals in 10 times shorthanded (80.0%).
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 2-0 record, along with a 1.50 goals against average, .957 save percentage and one shutout in two post-season appearances; He is tied for first in the league in shutouts (one), tied for second in wins (two), ranks fifth in save percentage (.957%), and is tied for fifth in goals against average (1.50).
* The Rangers and Capitals are meeting in the playoffs for the fifth time overall and the first time in 15 years. The clubs' last post-season encounter was an Easter Conference Semifinal series in 1994, won by the Rangers 4-1. Overall, the Blueshirts have a 2-2 playoff series record vs. the Capitals, posting a 13-11-0 mark in 24 post-season contests.
All Time – Rangers Playoff Record
2008-09 - Rangers vs. Capitals
Nov. 8 Rangers 1, Capitals 3 at Washington
Dec. 23 Rangers 4, Capitals 5 (OT) at MSG
Jan. 3 Rangers 1, Capitals 2 at Washington
Feb. 11 Rangers 5, Capitals 4 (SO) at MSG
April 15 Rangers 4 at Washington 3
April 18 Rangers 1 at Washington 0
April 20 Washington at Rangers, 7 p.m.
April 22 Washington at Rangers, 7 p.m.
• Complete Series Schedule
Recent New York Rangers Playoff Games
Last 5 NYR games: 2-0-0
Last 10 NYR games: 2-0-0
* The Rangers have lost 31 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
Despite being outshot by a combined margin of 85-42, the Wolf Pack took both of the first two games of their first-round series against the Worcester Sharks (San Jose affiliate), both at home. The Wolf Pack, the Atlantic Division regular-season champions, were outshot by a 38-23 margin in Game One Thursday night, but blanked the Sharks, 2-0. Then in Saturday night’s Game Two, Worcester enjoyed a 47-19 shots advantage, and came back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game at three in the second period, but the Wolf Pack eventually prevailed by a score of 5-3, going 12/13 on the penalty-kill. The series resumes tonight (6:35) in Worcester, and Game Four is set for Wednesday night (6:35), also in Worcester. If a Game Five is necessary, it would be Thursday (7:00) in Hartford, a Game Six would be Saturday night (7:05) in Worcester, and if it goes the full seven games, Game Seven would be next Monday (7:00) in Hartford.
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com.