Pregame Notes: Rangers at Washington
2011 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 5 at Verizon Center
• Download complete game notes >>
• Download Rangers Playoff Media Guide >>*
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Today!
Today's game will be televised nationally on NBC. Switch to MSG Network immediately after the game for complete postgame coverage, highlights and analysis with Mike Keenan, Ron Duguay and Al Trautwig live from the MSG studios. You can also catch the game's radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN Radio and on satellite radio at XM 205.
Rangers vs. Capitals Pregame Notes
* The Rangers posted a 3-1-0 record vs. the Capitals during the 2010-11 regular season, including a 2-0-0 mark at Verizon Center. New York out-scored Washington, 18-6, led by Brian Boyle's seven points (three goals, four assists). The Rangers held the Capitals to one goal or less three times, including two shutouts by Henrik Lundqvist.
* Over the last two seasons, the Blueshirts have tallied 10 power play goals in 30 opportunities (33.3%) in their last eight regular season games vs. Washington, including six goals in 17 power play attempts (35.3%) in four games in 2009-10.
* Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 4-7 record with a 2.60 GAA and one shutout in 11 career playoff contests vs. Washington.
* Vinny Prospal leads the Rangers with seven goals, eight assists and 15 points in 18 career playoff contests vs. Washington.
* New York lists one former Capital on its roster: Steve Eminger (2002-03 to 2007-08).
* Washington lists two former Rangers on its roster: Mike Knuble (1998-99 to 1999-00); Tom Poti (2001-02 to 2005-06).
Rangers vs. Capitals Playoff History
The Rangers and Capitals are meeting in the playoffs for the sixth time overall and the second time in three years. Their last postseason encounter was an Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series in 2009, won by Washington 4-3. Overall, the Blueshirts have a 2-3 playoff series record vs. the Capitals, posting a 15-18 mark in 33 postseason contests.
All Time Regular Season -- Rangers vs. Capitals
At MSG: 46-36-9-2
At Washington: 37-47-9-3
2010-11 Rangers vs. Washington
Nov. 9 Rangers 3, Capitals 5 at MSG
Dec. 12 Rangers 7, Capitals 0 at MSG
Jan. 24 Rangers 2, Capitals 1 (SO) at Washington
Feb. 25 Rangers 6, Capitals 0 at Washington
Rangers-Capitals Series Schedule
April 13 Rangers 1, Capitals 2 (OT) at Washington
April 15 Rangers 0, Washington 2 at Washington
April 17 Rangers 3, Washington 2 at MSG
April 20 Rangers 3, Washington 4 (2OT) at MSG
April 23 Rangers at Washington, 3 p.m.
April 25 Rangers vs. Washington, TBD*
April 27 Rangers at Washington, TBD*
* -- if necessary
* Derek Boogaard has missed 52 regular-season games and 4 playoff games with a shoulder injury.
* Alex Frolov has missed 39 regular-season games and 4 playoff games with a knee injury.
* Martin Biron has missed 18 regular-season games and 4 playoff games with a fractured collarbone.
* Ryan Callahan has missed two regular-season games and 4 playoff games with a fractured ankle.
* The Rangers lost 327 total man-games to injuries or illness duriung the regular season and 16 total man-games during the postseason.