Pregame Notes: Rangers at Ottawa
2012 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 3 at Scotiabank Place
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG Network with pregame coverage beginning at 6:30 p.m. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN Radio and on satellite radio at XM 92.
* The Rangers were 1-2-1 overall (0-1-1 at home; 1-1-0 on the road) against the Senators during the 2011-12 regular season. Two of the four meetings were decided by one goal, including one that required the shootout. Marian Gaborik led the Rangers in scoring with three goals and five points in the four games, while Derek Stepan tallied a team-high, three assists to go along with a one goal. Henrik Lundqvist was 1-1-1 with a 2.92 goals-against average and .905 save percentage, and Martin Biron was 0-1-0 with a 3.08 goals-against average and .857 save percentage.
* The Rangers are 8-5-2 in the last 15 regular season games against the Senators.
* The Blueshirts have won six of their last seven games in Ottawa, out-scoring the Senators, 20-12, in those contests.
* Biron's start in the Rangers' final meeting with the Senators on Mar. 8 ended Lundqvist's streak of 26 consecutive appearances against Ottawa, dating back to Dec. 26, 2005.
* The last playoff series the Rangers began at home was their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal matchup against Montreal in 1996. The Rangers have won their last five playoff series in which they held home-ice advantage.
* The Blueshirts have won seven of their last 10 first-round playoff series.
* The Rangers have posted a 30-11 series record when winning Game One.
* The Blueshirts' last playoff game in Canada was on Apr. 28, 1996, a 5-3 victory at Montreal in Game Six of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series.
* The Rangers have posted an 18-12 series record all-time against Canadian teams.
* The Rangers list no former Senators on their roster.
* Ottawa lists two former Rangers on its roster: Alex Auld (2009-10); Matt Gilroy (2009-10 to 2010-11).
Rangers vs. Senators Playoff History
The Rangers and current Senators franchise are meeting in the playoffs for the first time. The Blueshirts had previously met the original Ottawa Senators franchise in the 1930 playoffs. New York won that two-game, total goals Quarterfinal matchup, 6-3 (Mar. 20, 1930 at OTT, 1-1; Mar. 22, 1930 vs. OTT, 5-2).
All-Time Rangers Playoff Records
Goals for: 1,181
Goals against: 1,177
All Time Regular Season -- Rangers vs. Senators
At MSG: 14-21-0-2
At Ottawa: 19-14-3-1
2011-12 Rangers vs. Ottawa
Oct. 29 Rangers 4, Senators 5 (SO) at MSG
Nov. 9 Rangers 3, Senators 2 at Ottawa
Jan. 12 Rangers 0, Senators 3 at MSG
March 8 Rangers 1, Senators 4 at Ottawa
Rangers-Senators Series Schedule
(Series tied 1-1)
April 12 Rangers 4, Ottawa 2 at MSG
April 14 Rangers 2, Ottawa 3 at MSG
April 16 Rangers at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
April 18 Rangers at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
April 21 Rangers vs. Ottawa, 7 p.m.
April 22 Rangers at Ottawa, TBD*
April 26 Rangers vs. Ottawa, TBD*
* -- if necessary
* Michael Sauer has missed two playoff games due to a concussion, suffered on Dec. 5.
* Steve Eminger has missed two playoff games with an injury suffered on March 15.
* Mats Zuccarello has missed two playoff games with a fractured wrist suffered on March 23.
* The Rangers have lost six total man-games to injuries or illness during this postseason.