Pregame Notes: Rangers vs. Ottawa
2012 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 7 at Madison Square Garden
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG Network with pregame coverage beginning at 6 p.m. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN Radio and on satellite radio at XM 92.
* The Rangers were 1-2-1 overall (0-1-1 at home; 1-1-0 on the road) against the Senators during the 2011-12 regular season. Two of the four meetings were decided by one goal, including one that required the shootout. Marian Gaborik led the Rangers in scoring with three goals and five points in the four games, while Derek Stepan tallied a team-high, three assists to go along with a one goal. Henrik Lundqvist was 1-1-1 with a 2.92 goals-against average and .905 save percentage, and Martin Biron was 0-1-0 with a 3.08 goals-against average and .857 save percentage.
* The Rangers are 8-5-2 in the last 15 regular season games against the Senators.
* The Rangers are 3-0 in three previous Game 7s at Madison Square Garden — 1992 Division Semifinals vs. New Jersey (8-4), 1994 Conference Finals vs. New Jersey (2-1, 2OT), and 1994 Stanley Cup Finals vs. Vancouver (3-2).
* The last playoff series the Rangers began at home was their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal matchup against Montreal in 1996. The Rangers have won their last five playoff series in which they held home-ice advantage.
* The Rangers have tallied the first goal in four games this series, and have held the lead for 156:38, been tied for 134:49 and have trailed for 72:32 through six games.
* The Blueshirts have won seven of their last 10 first-round playoff series.
* The Rangers have posted a 30-11 series record when winning Game One.
* The Rangers' 1-0 win in Game 3 was the 200th playoff victory in franchise history.
* The Blueshirts' win in Game 3 was the 38th postseason shutout in team history; It was the 11th time New York won a playoff game with a final score of 1-0, but only the second time since the 1940 playoffs.
* The Rangers have posted an 18-12 series record all-time against Canadian teams.
* The Rangers list no former Senators on their roster.
* Ottawa lists two former Rangers on its roster: Alex Auld (2009-10); Matt Gilroy (2009-10 to 2010-11).
Rangers vs. Senators Playoff History
The Rangers and current Senators franchise are meeting in the playoffs for the first time. The Blueshirts had previously met the original Ottawa Senators franchise in the 1930 playoffs. New York won that two-game, total goals Quarterfinal matchup, 6-3 (Mar. 20, 1930 at OTT, 1-1; Mar. 22, 1930 vs. OTT, 5-2).
All-Time Rangers Playoff Records
Goals for: 1,187
Goals against: 1,184
All Time Regular Season -- Rangers vs. Senators
At MSG: 14-21-0-2
At Ottawa: 19-14-3-1
2011-12 Rangers vs. Ottawa
Oct. 29 Rangers 4, Senators 5 (SO) at MSG
Nov. 9 Rangers 3, Senators 2 at Ottawa
Jan. 12 Rangers 0, Senators 3 at MSG
March 8 Rangers 1, Senators 4 at Ottawa
Rangers-Senators Series Schedule
(Ottawa leads series 3-2)
April 12 Rangers 4, Ottawa 2 at MSG
April 14 Rangers 2, Ottawa 3 (OT) at MSG
April 16 Rangers 1, Ottawa 0 at Ottawa
April 18 Rangers 2, Ottawa 3 (OT) at Ottawa
April 21 Rangers 0, Ottawa 2 at MSG
April 23 Rangers 3, Ottawa 2 at Ottawa
April 26 Rangers vs. Ottawa, 7 p.m.
* Michael Sauer has missed six playoff games due to a concussion, suffered on Dec. 5.
* Steve Eminger has missed six playoff games with an injury suffered on March 15.
* Mats Zuccarello has missed six playoff games with a fractured wrist suffered on March 23.
* Brian Boyle has missed playoff one game with an injury suffered on April 21.
* The Rangers have lost 19 total man-games to injuries or illness during this postseason.