Pregame Notes: Rangers at Washington
2013 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 1 at Verizon Center
Download complete game notes >>*
Download Rangers Playoff Media Guide >>
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG with pregame coverage beginning at 6:30 p.m. You can also catch the radio broadcast on ESPN New York (FM 98.7) and on satellite radio at XM 212.
Rangers vs. Capitals Pregame Notes
* The Rangers were 2-0-1 overall (1-0-1 at home; 1-0-0 on the road) against Washington in the 2013 regular season. Two of the three contests were decided by one goal, including one game that required the shootout. The Rangers outscored the Capitals, 5-0, after the first period, and outshot Washington, 102-81, in the series. The Blueshirts' power play was 3-9 (33.3 percent), while their penalty kill was 9-10 (90.0 percent) in three games. Derek Stepan led all skaters with three goals in the series, while Ryan McDonagh and Rick Nash tied for the series-high with three assists apiece. Carl Hagelin (one goal, two assists) and Brad Richards (one goal, two assists) also tallied three points in the series. Henrik Lundqvist was 1-0-1 with a 1.44 GAA and .942 save percentage, and Martin Biron was 1-0-0 with a 1.00 GAA and .966 save percentage.
* The Rangers have registered a point in eight of their last 10 regular season games against the Capitals (7-2-1 over the span), outscoring Washington, 34-19, over the span.
* New York lists two former Capitals on its roster: Steve Eminger (2002-03 to 2007-08); Roman Hamrlik (2011-12 to 2012-13).
* Washington lists two former Rangers on its roster: Tom Poti (2001-02 to 2005-06); Wojtek Wolski (2010-11 to 2011-12).
Rangers vs. Capitals Playoff History
The Rangers and Capitals are meeting in the playoffs for the eighth time overall and fourth time in five years, including a third consecutive season. Their last postseason encounter was in last year's Eastern Conference Semifinals, a series won by New York 4-3. Overall, the Blueshirts have a 3-4 playoff series record vs. the Capitals, posting a 19-22 mark in 41 postseason contests.
All Time Regular season -- Rangers vs. Capitals
At MSG: 48-38-9-3
At Washington: 39-48-9-3
2013 Rangers vs. Washington
Feb. 17 Rangers 2, Capitals 1 at MSG March 10 Rangers 4, Capitals 1 at Washington March 24 Rangers 2, Capitals 3 (SO) at MSG
Rangers-Capitals Series Schedule
May 2 Rangers at Washington, 7:30 p.m.
May 4 Rangers at Washington, 12:30 p.m.
May 6 Rangers vs. Capitals, 7:30 p.m.
May 8 Rangers vs. Capitals, 7:30 p.m.
May 10 Rangers at Washington, 7:30 p.m.*
May 12 Rangers vs. Washington, TBD*
May 13 Rangers at Washington, TBD*
* -- if necessary
* Marc Staal missed the final 27 regular-season games with an injury, suffered on March 5.
* Brian Boyle has missed the final six regular-season games with an injury, suffered on April 16.
* Derek Dorsett has missed the final 13 regular-season games due to a broken clavicle, suffered on March 7.
* Ryane Clowe missed the final regular-season game with an injury, suffered on April 25.
* Michael Sauer missed the entire 48-game regular season due to a concussion, suffered on Dec. 5, 2011.
* The Rangers lost 134 total man-games to injuries or illness during the 2013 regular season.