New York Rangers Invite Fans to Celebrate Hockey Weekend in New York
Third Annual “Hockey Weekend in New York”– February 6th-9th
In support of USA Hockey’s annual “Hockey Weekend Across America,” the New York Rangers are celebrating the third annual “Hockey Weekend in New York.”
“Hockey Weekend in New York” is part of a larger youth hockey platform – “Go Skate! Playing is the Goal” – that focuses on improving the youth hockey experience in the tri-state by increasing opportunities and accessibility to the sport through hockey camps, clinics and free skating events. Last season alone, the organization held over 250 community events in the tri-state, giving more than 10,000 youth the opportunity to experience hockey.
“The Rangers organization is thrilled to once again host ‘Hockey Weekend in New York.’ We are committed to growing the sport of hockey throughout the Tri-State area and building the next generation of fans and players,” said Michael Guth, executive vice president of marketing, MSG Sports. “The variety of free events are a great way for young kids to stay active, practice teamwork and learn more about the great sport of hockey.”
“Hockey Weekend in New York” kicked off last night with an evening featuring a pre-game Youth Hockey Forum and Q & A Session with Rangers alumni Adam Graves, Stephane Matteau, Jay Wells and Mike Hartman inside the MSG Theater Lobby. The alumni discussed their youth hockey experiences and answered questions from youth hockey players in attendance. Throughout the evening, youth hockey players participated in exclusive experiences along with featured content in-arena and on MSG Network.
Throughout the weekend, the Blueshirts will host various activities in New York in an effort to continue growing the sport at a grassroots level by encouraging people to take to the ice. Below is a list of activities to celebrate “Hockey Weekend in New York.”
HOCKEY WEEKEND IN NEW YORK
Open to the Public
Sunday, February 9
- WHO: New York Rangers alumni Nick Fotiu, Ron Greschner, Stephane Matteau and Jay Wells
- WHAT: Free family skating sessions at select tri-state area community ice rinks featuring appearances by NYR alumni, giveaways, door prizes and more.
- Brewster Ice Arena (Brewster, NY) – 12:45PM – 2:45PM (Nick Fotiu)
- Oyster Bay Skating Rink (Bethpage, NY) – 10:00AM – 12:00PM (Ron Greschner)
- World Ice Arena (Queens, NY) – 12:00PM – 2:00PM (Stephane Matteau)
- Skylands Ice World (Stockholm, NJ) – 12:00PM – 2:00PM (Jay Wells)
Friday, February 7
- WHO: New York Rangers alumni Brian Mullen
- WHAT: Try Hockey for Free Event at MSG Training Center
- The New York Rangers Hockey Development Team will conduct an Intro to Hockey Clinic alongside Rangers alumni for kids in the Power Players Selects program. The Power Players program continues to pride itself on six values: Commitment, Excellence, Fun, Respect, Responsibility and Teamwork. During the program, one of the six values is stressed by the Rangers’ Hockey Development instructors to help reinforce important life lessons that the children may have learned previously at home or in the classroom.
- Three Garden of Dreams partner organizations participate in the Power Players program: Children’s Aid Society, Harlem Dowling and WHEDco. Each partner location has up to 25 “selects” from last year that have returned and will get the chance to test their skills on the ice.
- WHEN: 5pm-7pm
- WHERE: MSG Training Center
Saturday, February 8
- WHO: Stephane Matteau, Jay Wells, Nick Fotiu, Ron Greschner and Brian Mullen
- WHAT: Hockey Weekend in New York- Celebration of Hockey at Yankee Stadium
- Programming has been put together so as many kids as possible, regardless of skill level, can hit the ice. From first time skaters to youngsters who will do the coaching, there will be a program for all kids at each level of youth hockey. Preselected players from various youth hockey programs have been invited to participate.
- WHEN: 12:00pm-9:15pm
- WHERE: Yankee Stadium
For more information on “Hockey Weekend in New York” visit www.newyorkrangers.com/hockeyweekend.